cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G5x Mark II Bulb exposure without physically touching the camera

bobakman
Enthusiast

I read through the manual the only way to take a bulb exposure,according to the manual is to depress the shutter button and hold it. Then they tell you to be careful don’t move the camera. Well that’s impossible when I’m trying to do a four minute exposure. 
I then went to the Canon connect app, and I see that the bulb exposure slider is grayed out for my Canon G5x Mark II. Has anyone got any ideas in performing long Bulb exposures remotely with the G5x Mark II?  
I also need to have the camera display completely off since I’m doing it in a dark room so using touch shutter, also will not work.
Bob

IMG_8332.png

"Cameras don't take pictures, photographers do."
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

boatman,

The only way you are going to be able to accomplish is through the use of a remote control.

One thing you could look into is a JJC  BTR-C1 

This is a wireless remote that uses Bluetooth pairing with your camera.

Amazon also sells a Bluetooth wireless remote made by Pholsy that is compatible with your G5X Mark II.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

Thank you for your reply. I’m going to purchase the Canon model remote BR-E1 and see if it will function for this purpose. I read through the manual. I don’t see anything in there about bulb exposures in holding the shutter open using it but I did read one review that stated not specifically for  my camera model though, if you press it once it will open the shutter and that the second press will close it. So I’m going to give it a try and I’ll touch base back here for the  results.
***Update The Canon BT remote works well for bulb exposures with my G5x Mark II and my new EOS M200!
Bob

Yay! It works the Canon BR-E1 remote allows activation of the shutter for bulb exposure!
Bob

4 REPLIES 4

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

boatman,

The only way you are going to be able to accomplish is through the use of a remote control.

One thing you could look into is a JJC  BTR-C1 

This is a wireless remote that uses Bluetooth pairing with your camera.

Amazon also sells a Bluetooth wireless remote made by Pholsy that is compatible with your G5X Mark II.

Steve Thomas

Thank you for your reply. I’m going to purchase the Canon model remote BR-E1 and see if it will function for this purpose. I read through the manual. I don’t see anything in there about bulb exposures in holding the shutter open using it but I did read one review that stated not specifically for  my camera model though, if you press it once it will open the shutter and that the second press will close it. So I’m going to give it a try and I’ll touch base back here for the  results.
***Update The Canon BT remote works well for bulb exposures with my G5x Mark II and my new EOS M200!
Bob

Yay! It works the Canon BR-E1 remote allows activation of the shutter for bulb exposure!
Bob

boatman,

I'm glad.

Steve Thomas

Announcements