cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon G5X "Memory Card Locked" Error (Cards All Work In My Canon M50)

Old-School
Contributor

Hi Everyone

So my Canon G5x displays "Memory Card Locked" Error.
I have read some threads on the subject.

•  Tried 4 SD Cards
  •  Used compressed air to lightly clean the battery bay.

The SD Cards are different memory sizes all are 100MB/s
    I don't know what to try next.
    I suspect that there may be a problem with the Pin inside the SD Slot that detects if sd cards are locked or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Theo

PS. If it is the pin, what would Canon USA charge ballpark to fix it?

6 REPLIES 6

Old-School
Contributor

Anyone have any input please?

Hi, Theo!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

Thanks and have a great day!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Old-School wrote:

Hi Everyone

So my Canon G5x displays "Memory Card Locked" Error.
I have read some threads on the subject.

•  Tried 4 SD Cards
  •  Used compressed air to lightly clean the battery bay.

The SD Cards are different memory sizes all are 100MB/s
    I don't know what to try next.
    I suspect that there may be a problem with the Pin inside the SD Slot that detects if sd cards are locked or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Theo

PS. If it is the pin, what would Canon USA charge ballpark to fix it?

Have you checked the Write Protect Switch on the memory cards?

What is the storage capacity of the memory cards are you using?   What brand(s)?  

Are you only using full size memory cards?  Never use the micro-SD cards that require a plastic adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Cheers Mate

1. Have you checked the Write Protect Switch on the memory cards?
Yes Sir, tried 4 SD cards with lock tabs in different positions.

2.What is the storage capacity of the memory cards are you using?   What brand(s)?
Storage range from 64GB to 128GB
Brands are Lexar, Sandisk and PNY

Are you only using full size memory cards?
Yes

Thanks

@Old-School wrote:

Cheers Mate

1. Have you checked the Write Protect Switch on the memory cards?
Yes Sir, tried 4 SD cards with lock tabs in different positions.

2.What is the storage capacity of the memory cards are you using?   What brand(s)?
Storage range from 64GB to 128GB
Brands are Lexar, Sandisk and PNY

Are you only using full size memory cards?
Yes

Thanks

There could be an issue with the sensor that reads Write Protect Tabs, in which case you may be out of luck.  The cost to repair, assuming it can be repaired, would likely exceed the cost to replace it with a used camera of the same model.

TRY THIS!  That camera is a good 8 years old, or so.  Try using an SDHC SD card, which is one that is 8-32GB, or even smaller.  Some camera bodies around that time did not like SDXC cards, 64GB and larger, even though the camera specs said they were compatible.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I have not seen this addressed, but are your cards full-size SD cards or micro SD with adapters?   If they are the latter, then that is likely the cause of your issues, as adapted cards do not play nicely with these cameras.

The other factor to consider is the make and validity of the SD cards in question.
There are a lot of cheap cards out there and many are not of great quality, and similarly:
What might appear to be brand name cards, like Sandisk and Lexar that are offered on the web are not genuine.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements