cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing from MF743cdw without Wifi connection

joe1234567
Apprentice

Please explain step-by-step how to print from an MF743cdw without wifi. My ethernet connection is fine, and I have a USB A-to-A cord, but the printer repeatedly gives an error message.

10 REPLIES 10

Tiffany

Welcome to the Canon forum!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or macOS and which version). What error message are you getting? Any 
other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue. The forum is not intended for immediate support. If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

Thank you!

Windows 8.1.

I don't get a specific error message other than "Printer is offline."

The computer is connected to network through the Ethernet cord; the printer is not. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

I don't have this specific printer, but on a new Brother printer I have, you have to disable network/USB interfaces you don't want to use, and enable the one you DO want to use. It's somewhere in the printer settings. Look at your manual or online setup instructions.

dexman335
Rising Star
Rising Star

Is there any possible way to connect the 743 using an Ethernet cable? My 743 is connected to the Verizon Fios router via an Ethernet cable. The router sees the 743 and all of our computers & phones can print without any problems.

If my memory is correct, after downloading the 743's drivers to my Windows computer, I had to specify how the computer was going to connect to the printer. The options were USB or (network?). USB is a direct connection. Network is shared.

I tried that. It didn't work. 

Can the printer be connected via an Ethernet cable?

If there are different USB ports to choose from in the firmware, have they all been tried?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi @joe1234567,

MF743cdw

OS windows 8.1

The printer supports Wi-Fi, ethernet or USB connectivity.  You said you were not going to use Wi-Fi.  That leaves USB or ethernet.  Which do you want to use?

Regardless of your choice, you will need drivers for your printer.

Support portal for MF743Cdw

Canon Support for Color imageCLASS MF743Cdw | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

This is the installer for Windows 8.1 x64

shadowsports_0-1683948801493.png

This driver will work for USB or ethernet.

If you decide to use USB, you will need is a USB printer cable.

If you decide on ethernet, please provide more information about your network.  Each device will need an IP address.  Please decide which connection type you plan to use.  

Please do not run the printers installer until you have made a decision on the connection type, then we can provide next steps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

No one is addressing the pertinent question:  DOES the MF743cdw require the desired interface, whether USB, wifi or wired ethernet, to be SELECTED in printer settings?

normadel
Authority
Authority

Oh alright already. Joe 1234567, if you're still there......page 18 of the User's Guide, easily found at Canon online, states that either wired LAN or wireless LAN is chosen from the operator panel. The Getting Started Guide shows the options as either Wireless LAN, OR Wired LAN/USB.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements