cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF741C: Setting up Scanning to E-Mail

Duke_of_Zork
Apprentice
I'm trying to configure a Canon MF741C to scan to e-mail, and the manual is unclear. I found the place in the Remote UI where you're supposed to do the configuration.  The manual says:

[SMTP Server]
Enter alphanumeric characters as the SMTP server name (or IP address) for sending e-mail and I-Faxes.

[E-Mail Address]
Enter alphanumeric characters for the e-mail address that you want to use for the machine.

Which alphanumeric characters is it asking for? And what e-mail address?  Is it asking for my personal e-mail settings (this didn't work), or something else?  Or what IP address?  The printer's IP on the network (192.168.1.33)?

There are also some greyed out fields, including the one for POP Server, User Name (Fixed at the ID I set up for the printer), and Set/Change Password (fixed as the Pin# I set for the server).
5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You'll need to supply the SMTP server address of the mail service you are using for relay.

The email address is the username or email address  for the account you are using to authenticate.

Example M365

Device or Application setting Value

Server/smart host smtp.office365.com
Port Port 587 (recommended) or port 25
TLS/StartTLS Enabled
Username/email address and password Enter the sign-in credentials of the hosted mailbox being used

Hint, if you use Gmail, create an App Password.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That doesn't work.  I've got an AOL e-mail address.  So, I've got it set at:

SMTP Server:  smtp.aol.com

E-Mail Address:  [my e-mail address]

POP RX:  Off

Authentication/Encryption Settings

POP Authentication Before Sending:SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH):Use TLS for SMTP:Use TLS for POP:

Off
Off
Off
Off

And when I try to scan something and send it to my e-mail address, it prints off an error sheet:

TX Result Report

Job Number:  0001

Start Time:  [the time the job was tried]

Sheets:  0

Error:  [my e-mail address]

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I found this doing a quick Google Search.  It appears AOL also requires that an app password be created.  I don't have AOL so I have not verified this.  Instruction should be available in your account.

shadowsports_0-1681008763921.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I must be on the wrong screen then, because I don't see most of that.  Here's what I've got:

Printer Setup.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thats correct.  you're not.  The printer has a complex feature set.

Configuring E-Mail/I-Fax Communication Settings - Canon - imageCLASS MF746Cdw / MF745Cdw / MF743Cdw ...

Please read this entire section, the instructions for changing the port at near the bottom.  Note, the printer has to be restarted after the settings are completed.  

See this as well for additional assistance:

Create and manage third-party app passwords - AOL Help

Looks like you are pretty close 😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements