cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF733CDW Cannot Scan to Email with SMTP Auth - Error 806

sh_tech
Contributor

We just installed a new Color imageClass MF733CDW and configured it to scan to email, using the following settings: 

SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com

Use SMTP Auth, username: authenticatedaccount@ourdomain.com with known good password

Checked TLS

Set Networking Port to 587

When trying to scan to email, the printer spits out a piece of paper that says "Error".  The TX logs through the Remote UI says Error #806, which supposedly means the recipient email address isn't valid.  But we know it is.

We also have an open SMTP relay.  When I use those settings over port 25 with no authentication, the scan goes through just fine.

Can anyone think of anything else for us to look at?  We've been an HP shop until now, so I might be missing a setting in this Canon UI somewhere?  Or ... I dunno.  I'm just stumped.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The UI to set the port numbers is separate: 

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-1354-zz-SS-enUS/contents/SS249_security_233changingportnumbers.html#0...

Yes, it's really poor design, don't know who came up with that. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Your settings appear to be correct for outbound SMTP on O365.

I have seen issues where the password (characters may not be supported or allowed).  If you are using any special characters other than alpha-numeric with one or more CAPS, try simplfying the password and retest.  Believe the printer has to be restarted after a setting is changed and saved.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your reply.  Our password is alphanumeric only with a capital letter and 1 number at the end.  We restart the printer after every single change.  Still no joy.

Having a similar problem after changing GMail password. It now includes a & but the former one had ( and ) so if you have a list of what is acceptable, please share.

btw my error is 801 but I can't see anywhere in the UI where you enter SMTP settings like SSL/TLS or ports.

Thanks for sharing.

Matthew

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-1354-zz-SS-enUS/contents/SS249_security_233changingportnumbers.html#0...

Thanks a million to herbys.

I am finally successfully scanning to email from My Canon 445DW ( mf440 series ) using Office 365 0365.

I am using a standard SMTP with these settings in the canon.

smtp.office365.com

with username and password

painfully changed port to port 587  

yes, I'm using TLS, but not STARTTLS as that isn't an option.

Method #1 here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow-best-practices/how-to-set-up-a-multifunction-dev...

If Canon hadn't hidden the port change, it would have saved me a lot of grief.

So, we have to go to the actual device itself to change the SMTP port?  There is no way to do it via the web interface?  Wow.

Patrice
Whiz

Hi sh_tech.

Please scan and attach a document to an email using the Canon IJ Scan Utility program on the computer. Please send the email to the address that you are experiencing the issue with. Do you receive any errors?

If there are no errors when sending the document this way, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I will try that, but we have the printer installed on a print server and don't use the Canon utility program on our workstations... does that make a difference to your resolution?

Hi sh_tech.

I apologize. I missed where you said that you were able to scan using port 25. Please try using a Gmail or Yahoo account and verify if you run into the same error.

If you need immediate assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements