cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF656CDW lost all settings and is now prompting for System Manager ID and PIN.

diane9334
Apprentice

How can I do a factory reset or what is the default login for this.   I never created a System Manager ID number.   It did once prompt me to create a pin but that doesn't work without knowing the System Manager ID.  Tried many methods of doing a factory reset and none seem to work.  I have a week left to return this and buy something different.  Can't get in touch with support because of their limited hours.  I really don't want to have to return it. 

7 REPLIES 7

epeoples
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem. All the online information I'm finding says you have to call Canon if you do not know your System Manager ID. But when I call them and give my model information I get a recording saying that this product is supported exclusively by the online knowledge base. So apparently my printer is an oversized paperweight with lights. Or maybe a doorstop.

I am amazed that they provide no way to factory reset the device without the username and password. Forgotten usernames and passwords are often the main reason people need to factory reset in the first place. I'm coming to the conclusion that we should both get rid of it and never buy another Canon printer again. 

Thanks for joining the conversation, epeoples!  The imageCLASS MF656Cdw only came out about a year ago so it's got full support from our imageCLASS team who's open Monday through Friday from 9a to 8p ET (6a to 5p PT) at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  If you have a different model, please let us know!

slcfan
Apprentice

I have the same issue with my imageClass MF644Cdw.  It's past its warranty period and doesn't seem to have any support but there is nothing online that says how to reset the ID.  Any ideas?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I own both of these printers.  When you turn them on the very first time, you are prompted to set a PIN for the remote UI.  You don't have to set one, but you cannot access the Remote UI from a web browser unless you do so.

shadowsports_0-1711210078078.png

If you have never set an ID and PIN.  The default ID and PIN is:

• System Manager ID: 7654321
  • System Manager PIN: 7654321

If this doesn't work, then you did set one and might have forgotten it.  

If you don't remember the PIN, you'll need to contact Canon Support for assistance with reset.  

Start Here and register your product.  

MyCanon

The MF644 and 656 come with a 3 yr warranty.  A support representative will be happy to help you reset your PIN and the printer's settings if that's what you want to do.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick!

I had tried the default ID and Pin and it didn't work so we must have set it up with an ID and pin that are now lost...  I then tried to register the product but it claimed that my serial number was not authorized for use in the USA.  Some people don't think Kansas is in the USA but hmmmm, that can't be right, ha ha.  I tried the service number and couldn't figure out how to get a person; any hints before i try again?  Perhaps i'm too impatient!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi slcfan,

Curious, where did you buy your printer?  

Calling support can require a little patience and finesse.  It can be little tricky at times. Give it another try and see if you have better luck.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks the advice, i'll give it another try when i have plenty of time and patience!!  I was able to finally make a wired connection but less than ideal.

Out IT department bought it when we set up home office during Covid; supply chain was so crazy then I think they may have used Amazon or some other random supplier rather than normal office supplier (Grainger maybe??) because it was all about whoever could supply fasted.  Days we don't want to remember....

Announcements