cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass MF6160dw Multipurpose Tray INOP

alfromcolorado
Contributor

I have tried envelopes, letter size paper adn Avery labels and NOTHING has loaded into the printer from the multipurpose tray.

I have switched it from auto choose of trays to specify the multipurpose tray, as well as trying auto.  Won't load a sheet of paper, labels or envelope.

Whenever it SHOULD load a sheet I get an error light flashing that will only go out when I shut off the printer.

It is a fairly new printer and I am pretty sure I got all the packing tape, cardboard etc out of it. 

Using Windows 8 and a wireless connection.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?  It is very inconvenient and defeats the purpose of buying a new printer when my old one still does this without problem.

The angle seems a little strange, but it matches the manual.  The manual has no solutions.

3 REPLIES 3

Patrice
Whiz

Hi alfromcolorado!

Please ensure that the multi-purpose tray has been enabled and that the paper settings have been set at  the machine.  To set the machine to print envelopes and labels, please view the instructions below:

When printing envelopes, you will need to change the paper settiings on the machine to the envelope size.  If you are using standard envelopes, you will select [No. 10 (COM 10)].  Please follow the steps below to change the paper settings:

1.  Press (Select Paper/Settings).

2.  Scroll to [Paper Settings], and then press [OK].

3.  Scroll to [Multi-purpose Tray], and then press [OK].

4.  Scroll to [ON], and then press [OK].

5.  Scroll to [Paper Settings], and then press [OK].

6.  Scroll to [Multi-purpose Tray], and then press [OK].

7.  Scroll to [Set Details], and then press [OK].

8.  Scroll to [No. 10 (COM 10)], and then press [OK].

9.  Scroll to [Envelopes], and then press [OK].

Please follow the steps below to turn on the tray and change the paper settings for labels:

1.  Press (Select Paper/Settings).

2.  Scroll to [Paper Settings], and then press [OK].

3.  Scroll to [Multi-purpose Tray], and then press [OK].

4.  Scroll to [ON], and then press [OK].

5.  Scroll to [Paper Settings], and then press [OK].

6.  Scroll to [Multi-purpose Tray], and then press [OK].

7.  Scroll to [Set Details], and then press [OK].

8.  Scroll to [LTR], and then press [OK].

9.  Scroll to [Labels], and then press [OK].

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This solution does not work. I'm using Macintosh OS X El Capitan 10.11. I called for phone help, which was no help, the tech said it was a problem with my application. However the multipurpose tray does not work with printing from ANY application.

I know it will work, because I entered some magic combination of settings which I now can't remember. Apparently the settings need to be set each time an envelope is printed, which I can live with I guess, if I just knew what those settings are.

I'm trying to print No. 10 envelopes using Macintosh "Contacts" app. The error message says there is no paper loaded.

The multipurpose tray DOES work with "Copy" and will feed the envelope. But it doesn't work with any kind of printing from the computer.

gshecket
Apprentice

Printing on a full sheet of paper from the Multipurpose Tray

Using Word/Windows 7:  what worked for me was changing the Paper Source in the Windows Print Dialog on the computer --  "Properties", "Paper Source", "Multipurpose Tray", OK, OK. The printer then prompted for Paper Size and Paper Type, then printed from the Multipurpose Tray.

Printing an envelope from Word (2007 version)

This was a little easier.  Open the Multipurpose Tray, place an envelope in the feed position (default is flap side down and flap on the left). On the printer, press "Select Paper/Settings", arrow down six times to "No. 10 (COM10)", OK, ". Then "Paper Type" displays "Envelope", press OK.  In Word, click the "Mailings" tab, then the "Envelope" icon at upper left. When you click "Print" in the envelope dialog, it automatically selects the Multipurpose Tray.

This is a real pain, isn't it? This is the first of many printers I have used that did not automatically detect paper or an envelope in the multipurpose tray, and automatically print to it.

Announcements