cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Class MF642Cdw only printing random linings instead of text/images

missionprint
Contributor

Ever since updating to BigSur on MacOS I have been entirely unable to use this godforsaken garbage printer.

The website claims there are no needed drivers etc...
But, no matter what I print, no matter where I print from, no matter what machine I use to print from... This machine prints nothing but an occassional underline or something. It won't print any documents, even documents whose settings I specifically set up for this machine.

I've restarted my machine, reset my printing settings, reset the printer, checked fro drivers and updates, printed in adobe/chrome/firefox/safari/Mac Pages and the same thing happens each time. It's clearly a setting with the printer not my machine. I've been browsing the forums for something else like this and I've got nothing.

I regret buying this **bleep** thing lol someone please help! It's a useless hunk of junk right now and I can't figure this out.

(It DOES print from my windows machine, but I can't for the life of me get it to print on my mac since the big sur update!)

3 REPLIES 3

missionprint
Contributor

And also... anytime I try to initiate a firmware update on the printer itself it results in a "Connection error" which is... bull**bleep**.

It's connected to my computer right now and no matter what I do it results in a failed firmware update (though the website assures me I don't need to do this anyway--)

missionprint
Contributor

It seems to only be printing certain images and lines.

No idea what to do here why the hell isn't it printing text???

Greetings,

Take a deep breath.  You're going to get through this. Man Happy

If you had a working printer with Catalina or other OS and upgraded without using the correct drivers for Big Sur, thats likely the issue.

Big Sur specific drivers are available for your printer.  

Support | Color Laser | Color imageCLASS MF642Cdw | Canon USA

BigSur.png

Let's start over.

Visit the support portal and download both drivers:

UFR/UFRII for printing

Scanner Driver for Scanning

Save these to your downloads folder

Now..  Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners

Remove the Canon Printer from your MAC (-) minus

If the 642Cdw is your only printer, you can be more thorough and "Reset Your Printing System (MAC)".  (Don't know how) Use Google) Search for what I put in quotes.

Close this Dialog

Open Finder > Appplications folder

Uninstall all Canon softwaren - Drag any Canon related software you tried to, or installed.

Now restart your MAC

Open Downloads and Run the UFR/UFRII driver

Then the Scanner Driver

Test printing and scanning.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements