cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable in-scanner compression for Canon MF series?

mgvfx
Apprentice

I'm posting this here instead of the office printers forum since it's a very scanner-centric topic.  I recently purchased a MF656cdw all-in-one and have discovered that even when scanning as TIFF output there's a built in compression that creates artifacts in the resulting images. My older Epson had a similar behavior, but fortunately their driver has a setting to disable it (checkbox labeled "transfer after data compression"), but for the Canon drivers and Scan Software I don't see anything similar.  It appears that this feature is to reduce scanning and transfer times a bit, but it totally defeats the purpose of scanning as lossless TIFF for photos and other graphics.  I've tried VueScan but their support tells me that for the Canon MF650C series it relies on WIA drivers and the log file shows there's no indication of a compression setting.  I was wondering if there might be some obscure setting or workaround to avoid my TIFF scans getting compressed before returning this unit.  I'm running Windows 10, btw.  Thanks.

[As the Scanners board is specifically for scanners and not for multifunction devices, we've relocated this post back to Office Printers.]

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I own this printer, but have not seen a setting for this.  Its not a photo scanner so I'm not sure if lossless scanning is available in TIFF or other formats.  It only supports 600x600 dpi

shadowsports_0-1713190441309.png

It might be a good idea to reach out to Canon Support with this question.

Canon Support
1-800-652-2666

If you haven't registered your printer yet, you can do so at My Canon.

MyCanon

This is an easy way to get help via phone or email.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The RS40 photo/Document Scanner does 24bit color and 8bit grey scale

The LiDE 400 does Optical:4800 x 4800 dpi and Interpolated:19,200 x 19,200 dpi

Color: 48-bit Internal / 48-bit or 24-bit External
Grayscale: 16-bit Internal / 8-bit External

I haven't scanned photos since the Epson v600 days.  but even the interpolated res scanning on the Canon's looked good beyond what they could do optically at 4800.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements