cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't communicate with imageCLASS MF741Cdw multi-function scanner (macOS)

peter_
Contributor

I'm having a continued problem with scanning over wi-fi with my iSensys multi-function.

Whenever I need to scan, I turn the machine on and wait for it to boot.  Then, I load the document in the scanner, open MF Scan utility on my Mac and click the "Document" preset button.  But every time I get an error that it "Can't communicate with the scanner".  Even if I wait a good 5 or 10 minutes, I still get the same thing.

The only way I've found to fix it is to open the "Network scanner settings", remove the scanner, click the "+" button to add it again, then quit and reboot MF Scan utility.  If I do this, the scanning works again straight away!

Is this a common problem with a known solution?

7 REPLIES 7

Tiffany

Hi Peter,

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model Canon equipment you are using and macOS version. Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.  If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

Thank you!

Hi Tiffany.  It's a MF741Cdw and I'm using macOS 12.4 (Monterey).

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Peter,

If you are unable to scan without reselecting the scanner over the network, it looks like a network communication issue or something is blocking the connection. In this situation, I would suggest trying to power cycle your router the next time the issue comes up to see if it resolves the issue.

If it does not, you can try disabling any security software on the computer and then try a scan again. If the issue still comes up, you can try setting a manual IP address on the printer so it does not change anymore.

If all of those steps did not resolve the issue, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to check into the issue for you to see what is going on.

Thanks Hector.  I had already set a static IP for the printer, so that won't be the issue.

Just wondering, how quickly after turning the printer on should I expect it to be fully-booted and connected to the network, ready for scanning?  Should that all happen within 1-2 minutes, or is it more likely 5-10 minutes?

The reboot process should complete in less than 5 minutes. Once the control screen has normalized and any flashing LEDs go out, the unit should be ready to go.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

The startup should take around a minute. Once the display is at the home screen, you should be able to navigate to the scan window and begin a scan.

Hector, the issue is with scanning via MF Scan utility on my Mac, not via the touch screen on the printer itself.  I've never set that up to scan to computer from the touch screen.

Announcements