cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get PIXMA ip90 to work on Win10

Helpmeplz
Apprentice

Will the ip90 not work with windows 10? I've only been able to print the test page. Installed Easy PhotoPrint EX and when I click on a photo to print it says "The operation cannot be continued because a printer supporting Photo Print is not installed". I installed the "Printer Driver Add-On Module Ver 1.10" for Windows 7/7 x64 and it still won't work. Any workaround for this? Will this printer only work on Windows 7 computers? 

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

There might be an issue if your computer was originally running Win7 and you did the free upgrade to Win10, as opposed to working with a Win10 "clean install". And you could also try installing the printer for an earlier version of Windows using Compatibility Mode.

It's a new laptop that has only had Windows 10 on it. Maybe I'll try it on my older computer with 7 on it. 

Hi Helpmeplz.

If you're able to get the iP90 working on the Windows 7 computer, you may be able to share it across the network, effectively using the Windows 7 computer like a print server. This will require the sharing computer to be online while printing from the Windows 10 computer.

Printer sharing in Windows 7 may be done from the Printer Properties window.

Sharing tab

Darius
Whiz

Hi Helpmeplz.

The PIXMA iP90 is not supported past Windows 7.  While it may be able to continue working on newer versions of Windows, with some limitations that are unknown to Canon.  It has been superceded by the current model PIXMA iP110.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

stn79
Apprentice

This is one of those devices that won't automatically download drivers from Windows updates.
The Microsoft site has the drivers, but you have to install them manually.

Note: these steps may also work under Windows 11 and 8.1, although the location of the buttons and exact screens may differ slightly.

Go to this site: https://catalog.update.microsoft.com
In the search box, type: ip90
You'll get a bunch of results. Now before you rush and click any of the Download buttons, spot one of the drivers that has either Windows 10 (or Windows 8 or 8.1 - those are compatible) in the Products column, then click the corresponding entry in the Title column. You should get an Overview. The important bit is the Architecture: X86, AMD64, or ARM64. Make sure it matches your system. If that's not the right one, then look at one of the other entries until you find the one with Windows 8/8.1/10 that also matches your architecture.
If you don't know what architecture you have, click on Start -> Settings (gear icon) -> System -> About. It should tell you under System Type:
32-bit OS = X86
64-bit OS + x64 CPU = AMD64
64-bit OS + ARM CPU = ARM64
Once you've located the matching row, go to the right and click Download. The file will be a .cab file. In most cases it will download to your Downloads folder. Extract with a program such as 7-zip or winrar (right-click and extract).

(Scroll down for installation steps)

2.png3.png

Now for installation.
Turn your printer on and connect the USB cable to your computer.
Go to Start -> Programs -> Windows System -> Control Panel
Click View Devices and Printers
If the printer doesn't have drivers installed, you should see ip90 under Unspecified. Right-click it and pick Properties.
Click the Hardware tab. Click Canonip90. Click Properties.
Click the Driver tab. Click Update Driver. Click Browse my computer for drivers.
Click Browse then navigate to your Downloads folder (or for advanced users: to the folder you extracted the .cab file). Make sure Include Subfolders is checked.
Click Next.

If everything went right, it should say Windows has successfully updated your drivers. You should be able to print a test page too.
If it wasn't able to install, 3 times out of 4 it's because you picked the wrong OS version/architecture combo. Try another one from the Windows catalog site.

Other thoughts: I saw quite a few ip90 sold on ebay at modest prices in the last year, and I've wondered if it was because people couldn't get it to work under Windows 8, 10 and 11. That's unfortunate as it's a rather handy portable printer.

the second image didn't load

2.png

Announcements