cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather-proof case for Rebel XT T2i

ColinK
Apprentice

I'm in need of a weather-proof case (not waterproof as in underwater) for my Rebel XT T2i.  My wife and I will be spending several weeks touring in Great Britain this summer.  I'm hoping to get in lots of photo ops but with the unpredictable weather there I'm concerned it may be a wash-out.  Any ideas for protecting my camera and lenses while in use (other than a plastic grocery bag or an umbrella)?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Skirball
Authority

This is an official Canon website, so I’m sure they’ll be by shortly to give you the canned legal statement that rain may damage your camera, it's not weather sealed, blah, blah, blah.  So ignore everything I’m going to tell you, because I disagree with most all of that.

I’ll tell you from personal experience that I spent a year stomping around tropical countries in Southeast Asia with my 400D.  I was caught in the middle of rainstorms multiple times (though I was usually able to shove my camera in a waterproof stuff sack), and the humidity at times was practically the equivalent of rain.  My camera is still clicking away happily.  I’d use common sense, and I think you’ll be fine.  I know GB doesn’t have great weather, but it’s hardly a tropical rainforest.    Oh, and I highly recommend using a protective filter on your lenses (aka UV filters). 

But, if you want to be extra safe, without spending a fortune on a shell, they make cheap plastic bags roughly fit for dSLRs that you can use if you’re going to be out shooting in inclement weather for a long time.  Here’s one, but there are many types:

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER-Camera-Protector-Cover-Rainproof/dp/B004GTIYVS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics...

Thanks for your reply Skirball.

I checked the product you mentioned on Amazon's site.  Reading the reviews, it looks like this might actually be a more suitable product for my camera:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Protector-MagicFiber-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B004AH10K8/ref=cm_cr_...

P.S.  A professional photographer friend suggested that a hotel shower cap and a microfiber cloth will do in a pinch.

Announcements