cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter Speed equivalent on video mode

angeluzao
Apprentice

Hello, I feel like this is a dumb question, but what would be the equivalent to shutter speed 1/50 on video mode? on the manual it says 1/4000=1/30 for 24fps but idk, something doesn't feel right, can somebody help? thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

A common setting to use in the video world is having a 180 degree shutter angle.  Higher end camcorders and probably most/all of the cinema cameras will allow users to set a shutter angle setting.  When using stills cameras or less expensive video gear, you'll directly set the shutter speed.

For the 180 guideline, this means that for 24 fps, shutter is 1/48.  For 30 fps, shutter is 1/60, etc.

Having said that, you can definitely adjust the shutter for a specific look you're after.   But of course, there's a certain point where you cannot slow the shutter any more.  For example, for 30 fps, the slowest shutter you could use would be 1/30s.  But you could then use any value faster than that.

Personally, when doing video work, I do like 24 fps (23.976 on my gear that lacks true 24) and set the shutter to 1/48.  I do use a dedicated camcorder.  If your stills camera lacks an exact shutter value of 1/48, you'd use the nearest (and faster) value.  In this case, 1/50s.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi there,

I agree with the information above, just wanted to add that I believe you may be reading a typo in that manual. When shooting at 24 frames per second your available shutter speeds range from 1/30 - 1/4000 since you cannot record 24 frames with an exposure slower than 1/24 (360 degree shutter angle), not that there is an equivalency in exposure values. The movie mode and stills shooting mode both abide by the same rules for exposure.

Announcements