cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for a photo shoot that didn't pan out

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Last spring I was paid to do the photography for a festival. It turns out that the person could use some of the photos but couldn't use others. Maybe a lack of communication of what was required? Me not taking some photos and letting him review them to critique? I'm considering refunding part of the fee to cover what was not used. Knowing the organization, I'm sure they could use the money for other programs. Your thoughts? This was my first official photo shoot. Advice is most welcome. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
6 REPLIES 6

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

What was the intended use for the photos you were taking? Short term online usage for promotional purposes? Social media display? Were the images to be used to print t-shirts or other souvenir items offered for sale? Are you dealing with a for-profit or a non-profit organization?

Were some images not used for aesthetic reasons, or did they not meet certain technical requirements? Were you expected to take specific formal shots, more casual "editorial use" type photos or a mixture of both?

Addisonjones
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey there!

I am sure you are internally in a spot right now but try not to freak out too bad. There is ALWAYS a solution. Can you give a little more details on what was said?

Last spring I was paid to do the photography for a festival. It turns out that the person could use some of the photos but couldn't use others. 

Did you guys have any sort of agreements of the quantity or did you just hand over all the images? They have to understand if you handed over all the images that not all of them are going to be usable...... give us some more details and we can help guide you through the situation! Always a positive solution.

Addison

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

1. Is the customer complaining?

2. You can certainly decide to cut your fee as an accommodation to an organization you wish to support?

3. Use this experience to refine any future agreements, ensuring expectations and deliverables are clearly defined. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

The organization is an international fishing and conservation organization. There were no specific directions as to what was needed or required. I took the photos, loaded them on a thumb drive and sent it off. It's my understanding that the photos will be used for promotional materials and possible brochures about the festival.

John brings up a valid point- Get the requirements in advance. As I mentioned, it might have prevented the issue by showing some photos at the beginning and go from there. The customer didn't complain but, by a couple of emails, he explained what I have mentioned here; he spoke in general terms.. There weren't any specific photos shown or stated as unacceptable.

John

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

In this case it sounds mostly like a "lack of communication" with your customer is at the center of your concerns.

If you feel that your work didn't live up to their expectations then it's quite generous and conscientious of you to consider some form of partial compensation for any perceived shortcomings of your work. But I would only do so after asking the customer for some detailed explanations as to why the work didn't meet his needs. Maybe offer him some additional event photography at a one-time reduced rate, especially if you think it may lead to some more profitable work for you in the future.

Also make sure that he understands in advance, in writing, that you will retain ownership of the images and allow him certain restrictive usages, if that is your intention. If he expects to have full ownership of the images and take full responsibility for his own unrestricted use of them, then expect to price your work more accordingly.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

May is full of family activities. The next festival is this month. Thought I might get with him, if the calendar permits, and take some photos, pro gratis, that would be acceptable to him.

John
Announcements