cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly charge for Canon support

Shutter_Jockey
Apprentice

Greetings! I will try to make this brief, but I'm wondering if anyone has bought & paid for a Canon printer [any model] recently and encountered a situation where you had to provide your bank card info to complete setting up the installation & software for the printer? Apparently, when I had recently purchased a new Canon printer and started setting it up and installing the software it came with - I was asked to provide my bank info to complete the installation. This supposedly covers the "usage" of the printer! I'm currently having to pay $9.99 per month, even though I paid for my printer in full! I calculated the monthly cost by 12 months and it totaled about $120 a year! I finally found a phone number for Canon Corp to call and inquire about this issue. The phone number that is connected to the monthly charge [on my bank statement] is useless & just goes to voicemail providing an email address to use that is just as useless.  😠

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel this additional charge I'm forced to pay is equivalent to 'extortion'. I'm going to start looking around for another printer, from another company, that won't "nickel & dime" me after making a full purchase cost of a printer! If I had known about this additional charge prior to buying my Canon printer - I wouldn't have bought it! With this additional amount I'm paying each month, it makes me feel like I'm "renting" my own printer! And I buy my own ink too! Totally absurd!  🙄

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I'm sorry to inform you of this, but It sounds like you've been scammed. Based on the description you provided you did not interact with Canon.  Canon printers come with free installation support.  Consumer printers have a one-year warranty.  Business class printers have a 3-year warranty.  Canon does not charge a fee for installation, nor do they charge any ongoing fees. Once you buy your printer, it's yours.  The only service with a recurring fee that I can think of is ink replenishment.  This is optional.  Again, however, there are no charges for installation, or recurring use.

I'm sorry this has happened.  However, I'm certain this was not Canon. 

This is Canon's telephone number 1(800) 652-2666.  Again, I'm very sorry but it sounds like you provided your financial information to criminals, not Canon.  

I suggest you contact your financial institution and have your credit card replaced. It's been compromised.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

So, in other words, buying the printer doesn't sign you up for the ink subscription, that's separate? 

Correct. 

Thank you! Take care!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Printer installation does not ask for or need credit card info. Who asked you for it? Certainly not Canon. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

Where did you get the contact info for the "support" asking for credit card info?

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Shutter_Jockey,

Absolutely, within the next 5 minutes, cancel your credit card, and instruct your credit card company not to honor any requests for payment on that card.

Then get a new card.

Steve Thomas

Announcements