cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of the line for photography-on-the-net

John_SD
Whiz

I am always saddened when any photography site or magazine shuts down. The old stalwarts, especially print magazines, have passed on. I still miss Modern Photography and Popular Photography. The online version is a pale imitation. Now, one of the originals of the digital age is shutting down at the end of the year, according to our reliable rumor site. Photography-on-the-net has been online since 2001, but low traffic and dwindling participation have forced ownership into making the difficult decision. I will miss that forum. 

"Sad truth is that there is no place for conventional forums any more with the recent generations. Traffic is down. Enthusiasm is down. Mood is down. Discussion is down.

"There are many old timer members who keep posting, but that does not sustain the site. New members appear, but they do not post much, just browse and like here and there. That is the reality." 

2 REPLIES 2

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Online magazines have replaced print magazines due to advertising placed online. Our local newspaper now prints Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday; plus it is thin compared to other days. It was 6 days, leaving Saturday out. I could get the paper online but the wife likes the grocery ads on Tuesday for Wednesday-Saturday ads.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Totally agree.  The site format and ease of use to post was one of the best around. CambridgeinColour would be much the better for it if they were to adopt that platform.  I wonder how long that one will last?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements