cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cameras Needed to Launch High School Photography Club

Markell
Apprentice

Greetings

I am a recently retired Army photographer who has transitioned to being a high school teacher, who now teaches multimedia. I am located in a very poor county in North Carolina, where we are predominately people of color who really fight hard to get out of the community and find a purpose.

The kids have been seeing me take photos at games and around campus. They keep asking me to start a photography club. Since I have spent my entire life using Canon cameras, I would like to get about 20 DSLR consumer cameras to get kids a chance to experience what I have always knows -- photography can change communities through a lens.

Does anyone know of grants or a way to get reduced costs on the most inexpensive DSLR camera kit? I would love too share my knowledge of photography and hopefully show my kids that they do matter and can show the world through their eyes and lens.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Mark Bell

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum:
As I recall the You Tube presenter Jared Polin has done some work in this area, getting retired cameras from Canon and giving them to needy schools like your own. I would suggest reaching out to him to see if he is still involved in that endeavour.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

PM sent.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, Mark!  If your school can be considered a registered nonprofit, you may qualify for a donation from Canon USA.  Learn more about who we work with and how you can apply right HERE.

Hope this helps!

Announcements