cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Utility Just Quit Working (Windows)

WillyArnold
Apprentice

Hi. I have a very strange problem. The webcam utility was working for me but one day just quit working. The strange thing is that regular "EOS Utility" DOES work and I can even see live video with it. But when I try to use the webcam utility I only get the red triangle now, no matter what I do.

Yes, I completely shut down EOS Utility, even the tray icon. It makes no difference. 

I am using version 1.1 for Windows 10 Pro with an older EOS 60D. 

Things I have tried:

- Various applications: XSplit Broadcaster, OBS Studio, Skype, Google Meetings

- Different USB cables (even though it was working before)

- Restarting the computer, camera, unplugging & replugging, etc.

- Rerunning the Webcam Utility installer and choosing the "Repair" option

- A different computer which does not even have the normal "EOS Utility" installed on it (to rule that out as a conflict)

Now I did use the camera to take some still pictures and after that it is when it quit working as a webcam, but I don't see how that could be relevant. I switched back to video mode, of course. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

The camera should definitely be in Movie mode as you indicated, outside of that there may be a couple other factors. If your computer had a Windows update recently like mine did, some of the access permissions may have changed. I would try reinstalling teh EOS Webcam Utility by right clicking on the setup icon and choosing "Run as Administrator" to bypass as many of the Windows-based roadblocks which may exist.

Similarly, sometimes when those programs that the EOS Webcam Utility works with will have an update which can cause an issue. To test this you can try running the browser-based version of those programs like Google Meetings, Skype and Zoom. If this works then it would confirm that there is a new software incompatibility which would be resolved by an update either on the EOS Webcam Utility side or the webconferencing/streaming software side.

Well thanks for trying buddy. I did what you said and uninstalled the EOS Webcam Utility and then reinstalled it as administrator. Sadly, no difference.

As far as a program update, I had said that I tried four different programs and Google Meetings even runs in the browser as you mentioned. But I get the same red triangle in all four of these applications.

And like I said, I even tried a different computer. Interestingly, I had paused Windows update on this one and so I did everything here without the latest update. But still the same red triangle on both machines and in four different applications, even installed as an administrator.

And it was working great a week ago!

Not sure what else to try.

Announcements