cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated to Mac IOS 14 Sonoma and now Canon Web Utility wont open

Ablongro
Contributor

I believe this happened the last time I updated my Mac to the latest version of IOS. My question is why is Canon always so far behind on the updates? I think it was almost three months last time before I could use my utility. This is a function I use every single day for my meetings and presentations. 
Why am I paying for a service if it's only going to be useable some of the time? When can we expect a webcam utility update? 

7 REPLIES 7

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know more information.

What is the exact model camera you're using (it's usually on the front of the unit)?
Do you see any error messages?
What is the exact version of the macOS you're using?
Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

If you're in the United States and this is an urgent support need, please call 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), and support will be happy to troubleshoot this with you one-on-one. They're available Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm (ET) and Saturday from 9am to 8pm (ET). 

If you're outside the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Eos R6 with the latest firmware update. 
There are no error messages 
Mac OS 14 Sonoma 
MacBook Pro Late 2019 with intel chip 

The web utility will not open, I uninstalled and then re installed and it will not open. When I open my activity monitor it also shows the application to be using 30g of memory in what looks to be a renderer mode? 

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Ablongro,

I understand your frustration with this issue. At this time the EOS Webcam Utility has not been updated for OS 14 Sonoma, and at this time there is not an estimate for when an updated version may be available.

We are not provided copies of new operating systems ahead of time, so updates cannot be started until after the new operating system has been released. Due to that there can be a delay between when the new operating system is released and when our software is updated.

Once the update is released it will be posted on the product page for your camera. You can look up the product page for your camera HERE. If you would like to be notified about updates you can also set your email preferences in your Canon account to receive EOS News.

Hanani
Apprentice

same for me 😞 macbook pro 16" 2021

Camera EOS R7

can't connect either by usb c or wifi 

THanks 

Hanani

@Hanani wrote:

same for me 😞 macbook pro 16" 2021

Camera EOS R7

can't connect either by usb c or wifi 

THanks 

Hanani

Take a look at this recent forum thread.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camera-Software/EOS-Webcam-Utility-not-working-after-MacOS-Update... 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

OK Thanks ! I just re-installed the software and now it works for me - connecting via wi-fi. Now I am  trying to connect the R7 via USB-C to my MBP.

Any tips ?

Thanks again,

H.

I followed the following articles instructions BUT what it does not say is what I found deep in another forum. 
BEFORE you start your Mac in recovery you have to go to your settings, privacy and security, scroll down to File Vault and turn off file vault. this will let you run the code in terminal on the reboot. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213969

But even after all that the only way I could get the webcam utility to work was not through a hard wired connection, only a wifi connection. The software on Canon has to be updated to recognize the USBC connection as a camera. That is where the issue lies.

Announcements