cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R50 Webcam using HDMI with OBS

boboosta
Apprentice

I just got an EOS R50 camera. The R50 has both USB-C and HDMI (micro) ports. I want to use it as a webcam at 1080p resolution using OBS software. I know I can connect it directly to a computer using USB-C. However, my computer is old, and it lacks USB-C. It has only USB-2 and HDMI ports.

What's the best way to connect it?

Will any of these methods will work? Can I get 1080p resolution at 30fps?

1. Connect from R50 USB-C to USB-2 using USB-C-to-USB-2 adapter. 

2. Connect from R50 HDMI to computer HDMI.

3. Connect from R50 HDMI to HDMI port on a capture card (e.g., Enigma).. Then connect from capture card's USB-2 port to computer's USB-2 port.

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe a USB type C connector on one end and a type A connector on the other end would work. It should be fairly inexpensive to try it.
I believe that you are calling a USB type A a USB-2 port.

Sorry about that. Let me be more precise. There are USB standards which determine the maximum speed, There are also USB ports/connectors. Each standard typically uses a specific subset of ports. My computer’s input is USB standard 2.0 (which has a maximum speed of 480bps) and port type 2A. However, I suspect the connection might not work unless it uses USB 3 or 4. A Type C port typically uses USB 3 or 4.

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe a USB type C connector on one end and a type A connector on the other end would work. It should be fairly inexpensive to try it.
I believe that you are calling a USB type A a USB-2 port.

I agree, Bob. But it is possible that, if the OP's system is pretty old (as stated), it could be USB type A version 2. I think most modern systems that still have USB type A are version 3.0 or 3.1. I know that a lot of stuff I have seen and bought lately that uses USB type A says it's ver. 2. Kind of surprising, but they work on my system that's all type C thunderbolt, which is backward compatible. You just don't get the full speed of type C or thunderbolt.

@boboosta, as Bob said, a cable with USB type C on one end and type A on the other should work.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks. I’ll give the cable a shot.

Sorry, boboosta, I was typing while you had already responded 🙂

However, I think you will be fine going from USB C on the camera to USB A ver 2 as it should be backward compatible (from camera). As mentioned, you may loose some throughput, but hopefully it won't be problematic.

I would like to know, so please report back. I don't mind eating a little crow from time to time 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the price of a cable, try it.

Announcements