cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wanting to upgrade from t7

RockyHighPhotos
Apprentice

Hello everyone i bought my t7 about 3 years ago, ive been into photography since i was a kid, i started my photo business and recently have moved into concert and festival photography shooting artists . Alot of my shooting is done in very very low light,im normally having to shoot  ISO 3200- 6400 normally towards the latter of those two. im noticing alot of grain when i go to edit and post these photos.

i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on maybe what body i could up grade to.

Budget is about $2000-3000 for body and lenses

Set up 

Rebel t7

Sigma 18-35 1.8  shutter speed  normally 1/250 to stop action and not get motion blur with also letting in as much light as I can

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When you wrote "1/250 to accept as much light", unless you need to start to freeze action, you probably should use slower shutter speeds.  Especially if working with shorter focal lengths (18 to 35 mm range).

Having said that, definitely check out Canon's R-series line which is the future.  There are numerous crop-sensor (APS-C) models in that line ranging from the EOS R100 through EOS R7.   The EOS R7 being the most expensive, but also the most capable and feature-rich.

There also exist full frame R-series cameras which include the EOS R8 all the way up to the EOS R3.

For lenses, do note that while you can get an EF-to-RF adapter (if picking one up, do go with Canon's own versions), you may have issues with third-party EF lenses.  However, there is a growing set of RF lenses to choose from now.

If you have a budget in mind, along with if you need to work with your existing lenses, or if the budget covers new lenses as well, we can provide more specific guidance.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

So my budget is about 2000-3000 for lense and body I need to stop action as I'm mainly doing artists shots and they move around alot

I'm wondering if you'd be better off with a full-frame camera.  The typical larger sensor sites as compared to crop-sensor cameras will give you better ISO performance (less noise at higher ISOs).

An EOS R8 by itself would cost $1,500.

In terms of lenses, you could try to see if your Sigma would work via an adapter.  Canon's EF-to-RF adapter is around $130.   Very good RF lenses would be either the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L and RF 24-70mm f/2.8L.  Though they are very expensive ($2,100 each).   And, they wouldn't go as wide as the f/1.8 lens you have.

In general, the best way to reduce ISO is with wider apertures.  Lenses can often give you the most significant improvement there.  However, a new body (esp a full frame one) will also offer signficant ISO performance improvements.  So if you end up moving to f/2.8 lenses, I think you'd still end up with cleaner images.    Though if able to stick with an f/1.8 lens, images will definitely be cleaner.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Anonymous
Not applicable

You would have to give some idea of your budget for camera recommendations.

With your present camera and lens, can't you shoot at a much slower shutter speed to reduce the high ISO setting? 

I need to stop action and artists move around alot on stage and behind the decks  

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I agree with Ricky.  For low light, the new series of R-series Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs) offer much better low light performance and lower noise (BTW, digital cameras don't have grain, they have noise) furthermore, a full-frame sensor should offer benefits because the area of the sensor is larger and it gets more light overall.  The T7 has around a 22MP sensor and the R8 that Ricky suggested has the latest 24MP sensor, and as the total number of photosites is about the same but cover a larger area, each photosite is significantly larger and more likely to perform better in low light.

What you will lose is the so-called 'telephoto boost' of a crop sensor but since you shoot at the wide end, this is actually to your advantage. In effect, what your sensor capture with the T7 is equivalent to using a FF sensor with a 29-56mm f/2.56 lens, but on the FF camera you will experience a significantly wider angle of view as it actually delivers the 18-35 f/1.8 performance.   As he suggests you could try the Sigma with the R8 body via the Canon adapter, and see how that performs, but I would do that before committing to buy.

If you don't have to  purchase another lens, then consider either the Canon R6 or R6MkII.  This model is a prosumer version, with better build, but more significantly more controls and customization, plus In-Body Image Stabilization that might well work to your advantage in working in low light.  Either model is good - I have both and they are great in low light.  You could check out a refurbished model from the Canon store and even trade in your T7 to get a discount on a body - see: Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R6 Mark II Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc. there is currently no stock but this gives you an approximate idea of the price point you would be looking at for the R6MkII.

If you do decide to go for an R-series lens then you might want to consider something like the RF 14-35L f/4 IS USM, which is an excellent lens the image stabilization of which works with that of the R6 bodies for better stability in low light.  See: Shop Canon Refurbished RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc. for an idea of the price.

The two would stretch you just a tad over your  $3,000 budget but would give you a professional level kit.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements