cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t7i & off camera lights?!?

arobertsonphoto
Apprentice

Hey Hey! 

We have a t7i we are trying to use for a photobooth.  We're attempting to connect it to an AlienBee strobe with, with a hotshoe adapter and a cord. However, no matter what adapter or cord we use, the camera WILL NOT trigger the flash. 

The menu system shows this (below) when the hotshoe adapter is attached, AND when there is nothing attached. 

When I attach a flashpoint speedlight to the camera, it has no issues. I can access the menu, the flash fires, all is well. 

Please help! 

IMG_7465.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You don't have a center contact. You require an E-TTL flash that talks to the camera via the other 4 pins.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does your T7i have the center flash contact?

What does AlienBee say?

I'm not sure what you mean by center contact, but here's a photo! 

We haven't reached out to AlienBee, that didn't occur to me. unnamed.jpg

You don't have a center contact. You require an E-TTL flash that talks to the camera via the other 4 pins.

**facepalm** that makes sense. Do you have any reccomendations for a hot shoe adapter that will work? 

No, I just use Canon Equipment. And, my T6S has the center contact. 8^)

@arobertsonphoto wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by center contact, but here's a photo! 

We haven't reached out to AlienBee, that didn't occur to me. unnamed.jpg

FWIW, that doesn't look like a T7i. The T7i has a center post, the T7 doesn't.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@arobertsonphoto wrote:

Hey Hey! 

We have a t7i we are trying to use for a photobooth.  We're attempting to connect it to an AlienBee strobe with, with a hotshoe adapter and a cord. However, no matter what adapter or cord we use, the camera WILL NOT trigger the flash. 

The menu system shows this (below) when the hotshoe adapter is attached, AND when there is nothing attached. 

When I attach a flashpoint speedlight to the camera, it has no issues. I can access the menu, the flash fires, all is well. 

Please help! 

IMG_7465.jpg

The camera in the above image seems to be a T7.  It is definitely not a Rebel T7i.  Note the button in lower right corner.

8B05FB2F-3CF2-4302-9734-6A864FE53080.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I just took him at his word. 8^)

I'm a she 😞 

Announcements