cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recording to external recorder with EOS R3

cbdavey
Apprentice

Recently purchased newest version of Atomos Ninja V and own a Canon R3.  Having difficulty figuring out the right camera / monitor settings to get R3 to record to Ninja only.  Currently I can only record to card slots in the camera body.  Using HDMI out of camera to HDMI in on Ninja.  I am able to get camera menu to show on Ninja.  I suspect that there is a setting or multiple settings that I have messed up.  #R3, #Ninja V, #Ninja 5, #External recorder

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

See page 421 in the User Guide:

c010.pdf (start.canon)

Deactivate in camera on screen display.  Then use the INFO button and ensure no shooting into is being displayed in the camera.  You will use the external recorder.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

cbdavey
Apprentice

Thank you for the prompt response.  I did go back to the manual and read up some more.  After following the instructions outlined by yourself and the manual, I have determined that this did not get the desired result.  All of the display was on the monitor only but was unable to get any files to record other than to the cards in camera.  It is possible the issue lies in the monitor setup and am waiting on response from that end.

I too am having issues. I'm starting to wonder if it's to do with my monitors. I have both Ninja V and Shogun7 and I can't get either to record RAW on my R3. The record bottom is greyed out. 

Did Atomos get back to you about potential issues on their side?

Here is the conversation i had with Atamos.  Reverse chronological order.  Start at the end and read your way back to the top.  Be advised that I am currently able to record to my Ninja V.  It appears that under certain settings the record function is being disabled.  I did a factory reset and minimally changed settings and now it is working.  If you find the right combination of settings between the camera and ninja you should be able to record to media in the ninja.  I might suggest that you remove all card from the camera body prior to testing so that there are no other options for recording media.  Hope this helps.

Atomos Support (ATOMOS)

Feb 13, 2024, 01:01 GMT+10

Hello Chris,
Good day to you!

We truly appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you've encountered. We understand your dissatisfaction and want to address your concerns.

It's important to note that certain settings and features on the device may sometimes affect the functionality of others, causing them to appear grayed out. For instance, enabling features like "PreRoll" and "Anamorphic De-squeeze" causes other features on the device to become grayed out.

Please rest assured that your feedback is incredibly valuable to us, and we are committed to taking the necessary steps to enhance our support services.

If you continue to face any specific issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're here to assist you and provide the best possible solutions.

We sincerely appreciate your understanding.
Umair Zaki

Best Regards

Atomos Support Team

Feb 13, 2024, 00:27 GMT+10

I'm not really satisfied as all you did was tell me that my camera and hdd were not tested and offered no actual help.  Plus the amount of time it takes to do things via email is unacceptable.  

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android

Atomos Support (ATOMOS)

Jan 22, 2024, 22:23 GMT+10

Hello Chris,
Thank you for getting back to us.

We are happy to see that your issue has been resolved now.

Kindly do not hesitate to contact us in the future if the issue arises again.

Maaz

Best Regards

Atomos Support Team

Jan 21, 2024, 22:13 GMT+10

I have been playing around and actually did a factory reset on the ninja.  After doing so, the device is now recording to the external drive.  It is unclear but may be that certain combinations of settings either work or don't work.   In my opinion drive compatibility is no longer an issue.  I will have to continue to mess with it and see if any further issues arise. 

Get Outlook for Android

Atomos Support (ATOMOS)

Jan 4, 2024, 23:42 GMT+10

Hello Chris,
Thank you for your reply.

Please confirm exactly which device you have Ninja or Ninja Ultra, you can find it under the Info tab of your device.
Kindly tell us do you have any other camera or Laptop and PC to test this issue with your Ninja device.
Also, please send us a clear picture of the activation tab of your Ninja device.
Furthermore, try to test this issue with a compatible SSD drive.

Maaz

Best Regards

Atomos Support Team

Jan 3, 2024, 13:51 GMT+10

Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2024 8:36 AM
To: 
Subject: [ATOMOS] Re: unable to record to SSD

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Your request (180649) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Atomos Support (ATOMOS)

Jan 3, 2024, 00:36 GMT+10

Hello Chris,

Please note that as we can see in the pictures your Ninja is showing the internal information of the camera on the screen which indicates that your camera might be not configured properly to HDMI output.  This statement does not make a lot of sense to me.  If my camera display image is making it to the Atamos as you acknowledged, then the HDMI signal is going from the camera to the Atamos.  It seems pretty evident that the HDMI out signal from the camera is being displayed on the Atamos.  How is there an issue with configuration.

Secondly, the SSD Drive that you are using is not tested with our Atomos devices.  OK.  I understand that it isn’t tested.  That does not mean that it will not work.

Did your SSD drive is formatted in EXFAT format?  I will have to verify.  It was formatted in the Atamos.  I assumed it would be in the proper format if the device is doing the formatting.

We suggest you test this issue with our officially tested SSD drive.  I will see if I can get ahold of another drive and test.
Here is a link below for our tested SSD drives with Ninja:
https://www.atomos.com/compatible-drives/?product=ninja#information

Best Regards

Atomos Support Team

First experience with Atamos is not very unpleasant.  I’m beginning to regret my purchase.  Would have been better to buy a $100 monitor and some  CFexpress cards.  

Dec 29, 2023, 00:22 GMT+10

Thank you for the info.  

I am unable to start recording from the ninja because the record button is grayed out.

HDMI timecode output was turned off originally and I was able to turn it on. There was no change in anything.

The camera was in movie mode for sure.

Using a Western Digital red four terabyte SSD. See attached photo.

Confirmed that recording mode in camera matched that of what was in the list you provided.

The only time the record button on the ninja appears to be active, is when the ninja is in the mode for viewing the files stored on the SSD. At all other times the record button on the ninja appears to be grayed out. See attached photo.

Chris Davey

Get Outlook for Android

Sent using Microsoft Dictation

Attachment(s)
1000003709.jpg
1000003712.jpg
1000003710.jpg
1000003706.jpg
1000003711.jpg
1000003708.jpg

Atomos Support (ATOMOS)

Dec 28, 2023, 23:20 GMT+10

Hello Chris,
Thank you for contacting Atomos customer support.

We are sorry to hear that you are facing this issue.

Kindly send us a short video clip to demonstrate the issue properly.

Also, your camera is not on our supported cameras list, which means that it has not been officially tested by Atomos yet.
However, if this specific model has a clean output, it should work with all Atomos devices. Please refer to the camera manufacturer for an official confirmation on the type of output this model has and what resolutions and frame rates it can output.
Judging by the camera specs, you should be able to record the following to Atomos devices:

4:2:2 10-Bit via HDMI
DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 23.98p/24.00p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.98p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p

Did you try to start the recording within the Ninja V Plus?
Please confirm that the HDMI timecode output is enabled in your camera.
Please confirm that your camera is in movie mode.
Which SSD drive you are using?

Maaz

Best Regards

Atomos Support Team

Dec 28, 2023, 04:08 GMT+10

Canon EOS R3. Unable to record files to SSD. HDMI signal to monitor present. SSD is found by Ninja and has been formatted. When I press the REC button on the camera it will record to card only. I am working with Canon to determine if it is a camera setting. So far it appears there are no issues with the camera. Can you please assist in setting up my Ninja to work with my camera body.

This email is a service from ATOMOS.

[0KMLLV-M0V6Z]

Atomos Support (ATOMOS)

Jan 3, 2024, 00:36 GMT+10

Hello Chris,

Please note that as we can see in the pictures your Ninja is showing the internal information of the camera on the screen which indicates that your camera might be not configured properly to HDMI output.
Secondly, the SSD Drive that you are using is not tested with our Atomos devices.
Did your SSD drive is formatted in EXFAT format?
We suggest you test this issue with our officially tested SSD drive.
Here is a link below for our tested SSD drives with Ninja:
https://www.atomos.com/compatible-drives/?product=ninja#information

Best Regards

Atomos Support Team

Atomos Support (ATOMOS)

Dec 28, 2023, 23:20 GMT+10

Hello Chris,
Thank you for contacting Atomos customer support.

We are sorry to hear that you are facing this issue.

Kindly send us a short video clip to demonstrate the issue properly.

Also, your camera is not on our supported cameras list, which means that it has not been officially tested by Atomos yet.
However, if this specific model has a clean output, it should work with all Atomos devices. Please refer to the camera manufacturer for an official confirmation on the type of output this model has and what resolutions and frame rates it can output.
Judging by the camera specs, you should be able to record the following to Atomos devices:

4:2:2 10-Bit via HDMI
DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 23.98p/24.00p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.98p/25p/29.97p/50p/59.94p

Did you try to start the recording within the Ninja V Plus?
Please confirm that the HDMI timecode output is enabled in your camera.
Please confirm that your camera is in movie mode.
Which SSD drive you are using?

Maaz

Best Regards

Atomos Support Team

mcgreen1966
Apprentice

Hi i am having the same issue, I can get the R3 menus on the Ninja with some settings and occasionally the video flashes on and off.  How did you resolve this issue in the end ?

Im not entirely sure what I did to resolve this.  The last thing I did was to do a factory reset on the Ninja and that seemed to work.  I did have it stop once again after that and managed to get it working once again not really knowing what I did to make it happen.  My personal feeling is that there are certain combinations of settings in both devices that will allow/disallow proper operation.  I have not been able to trigger recording from the camera.  I have to touch the record button on the ninja to start recording.  Im still learning the configuration of both devices.  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements