cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"automatic shut down" shooting video using my T3i

rdarger
Contributor

The video shutdown usually occurs 4-6 seconds into shooting.  It may happen 2-4 times in a row and then the next time it shoots perfect video.  I recently returned from a cruise to Alaska.  Why on a day cruise, taking pictures of whales, I talked to two other T3i Rebel users and they have the same problem.  I don't use the video mode very often, but when I do, I expect it to work as well as the rest of the features in my T3i. I am very surprised that I cannot find other Canon users, in this forum, that have experienced the same problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just read up on the "Extreme Pro" SanDisk 32GB ........... certainly worth a try, as I would like to shoot more trouble free HD video

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

rmbrand
Contributor
Actually, I have been struggling with the same thing and I have a 6D. I am still trying to figure out what is going on, but haven't figured out the solution. I'll let you know what I learn.

Good luck.  We have checked and there a no updates for my camera.  The camera was updated in March.  Canon denies that there is a problem.  Thanks for the response.

kiran_vajja
Apprentice

I have the exact same problem. The camera stops recording video recording if I move the camera around but if I hold the camera steady or mount it on a tripod I dont see the issue.

TTLM
Apprentice

Hi,

I had the same problem. It is not your camera. It is your SD card.  The card can't store all of the information quick enough so it stops the video.Try upgrading to the extreme pro SD card.  Its expensive but  since changing, I've had no issues in the last 2 years.

I am using a 32GB Scandisk Ultra "10".

Just read up on the "Extreme Pro" SanDisk 32GB ........... certainly worth a try, as I would like to shoot more trouble free HD video

Just purchased a Scan disk Extreme Pro for 59.95.

Hello, I was wondering if the Pro card fixed this problem for you?  I have a T3i and a Sandisk 32 GB class 10 card.  Video usually shuts down after ~3 seconds a few times, then it will stay on for a longer video after 1-3 tries.  I see the buffer meter on the side and it goes up to 2 dots then the video turns off.

This seems to happen regardless of how full the card is, how long the camera has been on, or environment (usually indoors).  I format the card everytime I empty it.

I really don't want to buy yet ANOTHER card, but if it is fixing the problem, I might.  I'm frustrated with missing video moments with my toddler due to this happening.  I've read a lot of this issue happening on other forums with little consensus on why it really happens.

I purchased the Extreme Pro sandisk and have not had a problem since ( going on 3 years).  It is expensive but worth it. The other disks cant be written to fast enough... thus the meter and shut off.

Announcements