cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loss of sharpness 100-400 using R5 and adapter

bobbieturner1
Contributor

I have been noticing my bird shots are not as sharp as they use to be using the Control ring mount adapter EF_EOS R for the 100-400L vii lens. I decided to do a test comparison between the R5 and the 5Dm4. I kept all settings the same on both cameras. When I manual focused I used the LCD magnifier to be exact. At first I thought it may be the lens. But comparing between both cameras, I definitely see I get sharper photos with my 5D! Are we losing something when we put the adapter on? see the photos below. Is it the adapter? communication? Auto focus compare-1.jpgAuto focus compare-1.jpg

36 REPLIES 36

@bobbieturner1 wrote:
no camera shake since it was on a tripod of course. I will repost with actual exposure settings.

That is a false assumption.  It depends on the quality of your rig, and mirror lockup is advisable for critical focus, especially at 45MP.  Also, did you have IS turned on or off.  Like I said, your "test" appears to be fundamentally flawed on many levels.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mirror lockup?

Depending on the raw processor, different amounts of sharpening may be applied for the default settints, which may vary between cameras.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Mirror lockup?

Depending on the raw processor, different amounts of sharpening may be applied for the default settints, which may vary between cameras.

Yeah, I know.  Mirrorless.  Electronic shutter, then.  Irregardless, leaving IS turned on would be a mistake.

bobbieturner1
Contributor
Yes IS was off. However when I went back to check my R6 I noticed I had it set on mechanical shutter.
The bottom line is my images are not as sharp as my 5D and I have to figure it out. I have to figure out how not to have a “flawed” test and do it again.

@bobbieturner1 wrote:
Yes IS was off. However when I went back to check my R6 I noticed I had it set on mechanical shutter.
The bottom line is my images are not as sharp as my 5D and I have to figure it out. I have to figure out how not to have a “flawed” test and do it again.

I see.  Have you tried comparing AF, too?  Right now, it looks like you simply missed focus on the R5.

BTW, when did we switch from the R5 to the R6?

I'm having the same problem with my R5. I've done a few shoots with it and my results are absolutely not as sharp as with the EOS R. It's really frustrating and I haven't figured out the cause yet. 

FWIW:

Canon R5 Sensor Misalignment Issue CONFIRMED – No Sharp Images with Any Lens – Edit Photography

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have a new R5 and am disappointed with the sharpness of the images. I had very sharp images with my 500 mm f/4 L and also the 100-400 mm L lenses. Now with same set up, using tripod ,spot focus on birds. Tried with Image stabilization on and off on the lens. Tried with iso from 100- 4000 and none are as sharp as with my 5d mark IV. Canon has suggested than Llightroom Classic may be problems with converting from CR3 to DNG so I did several shots with CR3 and opened in DPP4 but images still not sharp.  I have seen posts stating that some R5's have sensor misalignment. I sent my R5 back to Canon Repair faciltiy about 2 weeks ago and they are still evaluating. Has anyone had their Canon sensor repaired by Canon? Very frustrating!

@jwolfe wrote:

I have a new R5 and am disappointed with the sharpness of the images. I had very sharp images with my 500 mm f/4 L and also the 100-400 mm L lenses. Now with same set up, using tripod ,spot focus on birds. Tried with Image stabilization on and off on the lens. Tried with iso from 100- 4000 and none are as sharp as with my 5d mark IV. Canon has suggested than Llightroom Classic may be problems with converting from CR3 to DNG so I did several shots with CR3 and opened in DPP4 but images still not sharp.  I have seen posts stating that some R5's have sensor misalignment. I sent my R5 back to Canon Repair faciltiy about 2 weeks ago and they are still evaluating. Has anyone had their Canon sensor repaired by Canon? Very frustrating!

I wanted to do this, but Canon wouldn't help me because I only have Tamron and Sigma lenses and couldn't prove that I wasn't just having a problem with them, perhaps some incompatibility with non-Canon glass and the R5. Perhaps they're right. I'm not sure. I need to borrow or rent some EF or RF glass to do some testing. Otherwise, Canon won't do a thing. So, for the time being, I'm stuck with a camera that is really nice to use but that produces subpar results. Or I just use my EOS R and get superb results. Getting the R5 has been a pretty bad decision, so far. A pretty expensive mistake, at least until I can figure out this problem.

I could understand misalignment being the issue if part but not all of the image was sharp due to the lens not being perfectly parallel to the sensor.  But I would expect a small selected focus area, typically used when using a telephoto lens, to be perfectly sharp and in focus since a claimed advantage of mirrorless is the image sensor also functions as the focus sensor so the micro adjust feature of DSLR bodies isn't necessary.

If the camera is providing good results with some high quality glass but not with others is odd.  It will be interesting if Canon divulges more about what is going on with sensor misalignment and if it is actually a manufacturing issue with the sensor itself if nothing is perfectly sharp.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements