Did you mean: 

lint on sensor

bskygal
Contributor

hello I have some specks on my pictures. I have cleaned all my lenses and

that's not the problem. My camera teacher says I might have lint on the

sensor. I have checked out the menu and see there is a place to raise the

mirror to clean the sensor. Just not sure what to use. I really don't want to

send it to a tech at Canon, besides really can't afford it. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can give me. My camera is a Rebel 3

6 REPLIES 6

hsbn
Whiz
Sensor clean is only about $30. You can do it yourself or send it in to Canon. Or you can go to your local camera and they clean it for you if you're not comfortable of doing it yourself. Otherwise, you can google "dslr sensor cleaning" and it will give you ton of video and instruction.
If it's just a lint, you can use a rocket blower (google for instruction). Do not use compressed air.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Thank you very much. I will go check it out. Always find this

forum and the people very helpful for us beginners.

Thanks again. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" My camera teacher says I might have lint on the sensor. "

You have a "camera teacher" that does not how to clean the sensor or a place where you can have it done?  You need a better teacher!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

A "Rocket Blower" or similar might remove relatively loose dust particles. But more adhered particles or oil or smudges require a process called "wet cleaning".

Read everything on this website and this website thoroughly and decide if you want to try cleaning it yourself or pay to have it done. To clean it yourself, you'll have to invest in some cleaning supplies.

There's a "sensor cleaning" mode in your camera's menu, that lifts the mirror and props open the shutter so that you can access the sensor for cleaning. You must be certain the camera's battery is fully charged and to work reasonably quickly. If the camera runs out of power the shutter will snap closed and the mirror will drop back down, and you really don't want that to happen while using a cleaning tool in there!

It is something you can do yourself, but must be done very carefully! There are several things inside the camera that are easily damaged and repairs can be expensive.

Another "solution" of sorts is to not use super small apertures when taking pics. Most Canon lenses go to f22, but with a camera like yours there's little reason to stop down much past f8 or f11. Smaller apertures (f16, f22) will only show dust more obviously... plus will reduce image quality due to an effect called "diffraction".

Also be sure to turn your camera on and off occasionally (some of us... including me... rarely do). On most recent models this will run the camera's sensor self-cleaning. Don't interrupt the self-cleaning cycle by pushing any buttons or dials on the camera for a few seconds, while self-cleaning does it's thing. The self-cleaning is pretty effective, though it won't remove absolutely everything.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thank you for your information think I need to learn to do myself.

As I like to take lots of pictures. And most outside. So this problem

is going to be one that will come up often when changing my lens.

" I need to learn to do myself.

As I like to take lots of pictures. And most outside. So this problem

is going to be one that will come up often when changing my lens"

It would be good to learn to do it yourself. Just be careful and study up on the procedures and precautions first.

Clarification... I am not sure which camera model you have... You mention a "Rebel 3"...  Actually there are Rebel T3 and Rebel T3i models. Anyway, the T3 does not have a self-cleaning sensor, while the T3i does have that feature. So if you have T3 you are more likely to need to do manual cleanings. With T3i it might be less necessary. (Note: I've got a 4 year old camera that's taken 100,000+ shots, has been used in very dusty conditions, has seen untold number of lens changes... that has the self-cleaning sensor feature and, to date, has never needed a manual cleaning).

With eiher model, whether or not you have self-cleaning sensor, don't be afraid to change lenses... just use reasonable care when you do. Dust happens, lens changes or not, indoors and out... Might as well just learn to deal with it!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements