cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gimbal for 7dm2? and a few other questions...

Brandi7dm2
Contributor

Hi all, I'm new to the page. I am still learning, and would appreciate some help. One of my favorite things to do is to video birds in flight. My husband is a master falconer, so i get to be up close and personal with the hawks and falcons. The birds can be flying right at my feet, or a few hundred yards away. I currently am using my 7d m2 with 70-200 2.8 IS USM. hand held it can get pretty jumpy. So i am looking into hand held gimbal mounts. but i am having trouble finding ones that will mount the camera AND support it software wise. Any ideas?

I also would like to obtain a microphone, i am currently looking at the tascam dr-10sg. It seems to suit what i will be doing. Thoughts?

final question, if you were able to video these birds, what would your choice of lens and gimbal? or no gimbal at all? what would you have your settings at as well for the camera?

thank you for your time and help. 

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am not sure what you mean or looking for when it comes to a gimbal and software.

If I wanted to shoot video, then my first choice is a video head and a video tripod.  Video tripods lack a center column, which requires the legs to have a wider, more stable stance compared to the typical tripod used for photography.  Some of the best tripods for photographers are built like video tripods without a center column, but use a flat place instead of a video bowl.

I cannot find that Tascam model number.  Similar model numbers are audio recorders, which would still need a microphone to make a compete audio recording system.  This recorded audio would be independent of your recorded video, which creates the problem of combining the two recordings and synchronizing them.  A Rode Wireless Go system might be simpler.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

i am looking at the Zhiyun crane 2 and the DJI ronin s if that helps you understand what i am needing/wanting. i cannot use a true tripod, as that would create a disaster trying to move it to follow the birds in flight 🙂 

These two video gimbals i mentioned above can support the weight of my camera, 7dm2 and a 200L, but i am getting conflicting reports as to whether or not the software from both gimbals will communicate with the 7dm2 and the 200. manufacturers say no, users say yes. so i was hoping for some clarification from someone on this site. 

the tascom can be found here 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EO65QCM/?coliid=I28QPC0IMRCF8B&colid=3IDNPAP0DZ912&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig...

thanks for your help. 

The one at my camera store had a 5D Mk III on it.  I do not know if it was camera specific.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Instead of buying from Amazon where no one knows anything try B&H or Adorama.  They will have people that can tell you what you need. And, what will work with your gear.

EB

@Brandi7dm2 wrote:

i am looking at the Zhiyun crane 2 and the DJI ronin s if that helps you understand what i am needing/wanting. i cannot use a true tripod, as that would create a disaster trying to move it to follow the birds in flight 🙂 

These two video gimbals i mentioned above can support the weight of my camera, 7dm2 and a 200L, but i am getting conflicting reports as to whether or not the software from both gimbals will communicate with the 7dm2 and the 200. manufacturers say no, users say yes. so i was hoping for some clarification from someone on this site. 

the tascom can be found here 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EO65QCM/?coliid=I28QPC0IMRCF8B&colid=3IDNPAP0DZ912&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig...

thanks for your help. 

My gimbal head is used on a tripod, has been used for some birds in flight, and has no software or electronics. It is a now-long-discontinued Kirk Enterprises King Cobra. I do not see how a tripod can be a "disaster" for following birds in flight. The reason, or, at least, my reason, for using the gimbal, is to enable tripod support while following action.

The gimbals you are specifying seem to be specialized video devices, unfamiliar to most users of this forum. You may have better luck asking your questions in a different forum, perhaps? I am not meaning to seem negative or cynical. Smiley Happy

Even though I have a pair of 7D Mark II cameras, I have not used them for BIF. (Birds-In-Flight) I bought them for their much-improved low-light AF capability, their ability to deal so decisively with flickering light sources, their resistance to liquid and dust intrusion, and cleaner images at higher ISO settings. IOW, rough duty* use. I have shot video with neither of them; video remains a mystery, to me, except for casual video with iPhones.

Your video shooting of raptors in flight seems fascinating. Smiley Happy

A Barred Owl "told" me that 300mm is long enough, but that an unstabiliazed 300/4 lens is silly, after sundown, so I bought a pre-owned, pre-II EF 300/2.8L IS, last year. Of course, this evening shooting is not BIFs, as one usually cannot see far enough. I would like to try using IR photography to capture Eastern Screech Owls, as they call, in the nearby trees. We may erect some nest boxes, next year, which may attract either Screech Owls or Whistling Tree Ducks.

A new local favorite, which we are learning to find, is the Crested Caracara. There are local Bald Eagles, too, but we keep missing them.

*The 7D Mark II, the EF 100/2.8L Macro IS, a set of 600EX-RT Speedlites, and the Canon Macro Ring Lite flash, are, arguably, the best combination of gear, in the world, for evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography, which was part of my duties, from 2010 to early 2018.

a tripod would be a disaster because these birds are flying f right over my head, at my feet, blazing right past my shoulders at 60-200mph at times. The prey that they are after will quite often use humans as a deflector of sorts to get the hawk or falcon off their tail. Then they could be a few hundred yards away, and im having to zoom in. 

I wound up going with the Ronin-s, knowing full well that this one does not have the software to control the camera. i am still learning the thing, and as of right now it can balance the 200l lens, to a point. beyond 45 degrees and it doesnt have the motor power to right itself. but like i said i am learning it still, so im sure there is a little bit more tweaking i can do. 

it helps to have the hand held gimbal to stabilize for sure. I have toothpicks for arms, so i need to build some muscle to use the three items together. (Ronin, 7dm2, and 200l). 

"a tripod would be a disaster because these birds are flying f right over my head..."

You do realize all the best pro bird photographers use a tripod?  A massive tripod.   There was a good show on PBS last evening about how they photograph the fastest humming bird in the world.  Now you say your birds are fast and I realize they are but now reduce their size to a hummingbird!

Using a gimbal or a heavy duty tripod with a big lens will have some learning to do and some technique changes to master.  If it was easy everybody would be doing it. Right?

"... i need to build some muscle to use the three items together."

Go for it, keep your eyes on the prize!

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What you probably want is a gyroscope stabilizer with a encoder.  I picked one up at my local camera store one time. I put it down quickly but they are amazing. I am sure they require a bit of getting used to it. I think it was around $800 bucks. I am no video shooter so I am not any real help.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

”The gimbals you are specifying seem to be specialized video devices, unfamiliar to most users of this forum. You may have better luck asking your questions in a different forum, perhaps? I am not meaning to seem negative or cynical.”

I have been wondering the same thing. How do you track BIF with a gimbal stabilizer?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements