cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility downloading duplicate photos from dual cards in EOS 5D Mark IV

rvd1000
Contributor

Hi there,

I just updated the 5d mar IV with an extra card, so that it now has 2 cards installed.

I set up the cards so they work as backup (the 5d saves the same image to both cards).

My issue is when plugging the 5d into the usb and eos utility opens and I import new images: it imports each image twice (once from each card, and with unique file-names, as if it was 2 different images).

Is there some way I can change this behavior, such that eos utility will import only from one card automatically and skip the duplicates on the other card?

Basically I would like the import to behave similar to how it did when using one card only. I only use the second card as a safety backup, so I am not sure why it saves the same image to both cards as if they were 2 different images (I expected it to save the snapped image to both cards using the same file-name on both cards, and then only import the image once.)

I have looked for settings in eos utility to set this behavior but can't find any.

On the 5d I set it to record to multiple and playback from slot 1.

Any tips on how to avoid importing the duplicates from the second card when using auto-import in eos utility?

I can't be the only one having this issue, one would think....

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not sure what the problem is. Just select the card you want to download from:

Screenshot 2022-12-12 094842.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Tim
Authority

Hello rvd1000, 

We apologize this occurs, it must be frustrating.  The manual, on page 167, specifies that the same file number is used for recording to both the CF card and the SD card.  You will want to verify that your camera is recording them this way.  To do that, you want to go into Playback for each card and check the detailed view and compare the file numbers and make sure they are the same. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked, and indeed the exact same file number is used for recording to both the CF card and the SD card.

So on both cards there is an image named:

3E4A0294.JPG  

3E4A0294.CR2

So this is as expected, as I set the camera to RAW + jpg.

On my PC the EOS Utility stores this image like this:

3E4A0294.JPG 

3E4A0294.CR2

3E4A0294_1.JPG

3E4A0294_1.CR2

They are all exactly the same images, I made sure to check that before deleting the duplicates on my PC.

Due to this behaviour transferring photos to my PC takes twice as long as it should, and takes up twice as much space on the hard drive. And after transferring I have to manually delete the duplicates on my PC. Quite a pain, all together.

I really wonder how on earth the rest of the customers using both card slots (one as backup for the other) handle this pretty normal situation, of using EOS utility to transfer files to the PC.... 

The utility should prevent me from constantly having to pull out cards from the camera body and putting them in a card reader, and transfer files manually to my PC, having to create all the date folders manually and so on....

This is a huge issue in my point of view, so can this be fixed?

(I use latest EOS Utility 3 version, 3.9.0.0.)

I think both cards are being downloaded because both cards are being written.  What happens if you change the camera to only save to one card prior to a download.  Does it still download both cards?

There is also an option in the EOS Utility to manually select what files you want to download.  This could be your best option.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi,

I agree, but the EOS utility should not create duplicate files, no matter what.

Manual selection is not an option I think, because the whole idea of the EOS Utility is that it takes work of my hands and not add more work...

I will try your suggestion about changing the camera setting prior to download, but that also should not be a necessary step in the workflow, if it works... And you can wait for the day that you forget to change the setting to dual cards again. I can't have that.

Thanks for thinking with me sofar!

@rvd1000 wrote:

Hi,

I agree, but the EOS utility should not create duplicate files, no matter what.

Manual selection is not an option I think, because the whole idea of the EOS Utility is that it takes work of my hands and not add more work...

I will try your suggestion about changing the camera setting prior to download, but that also should not be a necessary step in the workflow, if it works... And you can wait for the day that you forget to change the setting to dual cards again. I can't have that.

Thanks for thinking with me sofar!

It downloads all new files that it finds.  That seems reasonable.  Try removing one card prior to downloads.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi,

When I remove one card prior to download, it works fine, as it always did with any other single card Canon body. Did you expect otherwise?

I don't think it is resonable that it downloads a file again when it already downloaded it, because the utility checks whether a file is already downloaded or not. The problem is that is does not check correctly when 2 cards are used. 

The backup files are the same image, same size, same name, same timestamp, same everything... The backup file is not a 'new' file. 

I think your easiest work around for this is to use the protect images menu selection in your camera to protect all of the images on one card.  Then under EOS utility choose the transfer option "protected images that have not been downloaded yet".  This will save you from having to pop one card out and you could add the protect images command to your My Menu for fast access.

Rodger  

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks Rodger, will test that!

What is your workflow, with 2 cards in a backup configuration?

I have just been popping one out before transferring when I set them both to record (for non-critical stuff I just use a single card); I am glad you brought up the question which caused me to research the issue.  Hopefully a revised version of EOS utility will provide an option under preferences to choose either card instead of both.

Hopefully the suggestion works because I haven't tried it yet and after shooting a high school football game in 33 degree wind/rain/drizzle/snow Friday night I am not anxious to go out and shoot anything  to try it right now.  One of the players told me after the game they had an informal betting pool as to which quarter I would fall in the mud because all of the officials and two of the coaches ended up falling before the game was over.  I should have worn cleats because the sidelines were horrible and unlike soccer, American rules football plays don't stop cleanly at the sidelines so I did several fast backwards runs with 1DX M2 300mm F2.8 and 1DX 70-200 F2.8 camera/lens setups.  The cameras and I survived without falling 🙂

My wish for EOS utility is to allow automatic selection of download folder by camera.  Right now the 1DX 2 and 1DX dump their files into the same directory by date but it is pretty easy to move the different camera files because of the different naming convention.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements