cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon t3i rebel doesnt accept microphone

bhess9632
Apprentice

hello i have a Canon Eos T3i Rebel and am starting up a youtube channel. since then i have purchased a JOBY tripod and a RODE VideoMicro microphone. when i got the microphone in it has a 3.5mm male to a 3.5 mm male connecting cord. well the t3i has a 2.5mm microphone jack. i then went out and bought an adapter for 3.5mm to 2.5mm and pluged both of those in. now the first time ive used this microphone i put it in movie mode and a message come up on my screen that says (still photos cannot be taken in movie mode) any ideas on what i should do now that i have spent almost $100 on this microphone and cannot use it?

3 REPLIES 3

@bhess9632 wrote:

hello i have a Canon Eos T3i Rebel and am starting up a youtube channel. since then i have purchased a JOBY tripod and a RODE VideoMicro microphone. when i got the microphone in it has a 3.5mm male to a 3.5 mm male connecting cord. well the t3i has a 2.5mm microphone jack. i then went out and bought an adapter for 3.5mm to 2.5mm and pluged both of those in. now the first time ive used this microphone i put it in movie mode and a message come up on my screen that says (still photos cannot be taken in movie mode) any ideas on what i should do now that i have spent almost $100 on this microphone and cannot use it?

Are you sure the socket you're plugging it into is a microphone jack? It sounds as though the camera thinks you're trying to take a (still) picture using a remote trigger or battery grip.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Yes, you want the lower connector, and I believe it is 3.5mm.

I don't know if the T3i supplies phantom power, does your mic require it?

dejarl
Apprentice

Were you ever able to get the Rode VideoMicra Compact to work with your Canon T3i?

I just purchased a Rode VideoMicra Compact with the standard 3.5mm. I plugged in mic and went into sound settings and manual mode and adjusted the mic level to not be picking up way to much sounds, but I don't hear any difference when I do test samples with mice pluged in or just standard mic with same settings.

Rode website states that:

While this is by no means a complete list, following is a list of cameras that we can confirm do not support the VideoMic GO. Please refer to the specifications of your particular camera for information on whether it supplies power via the microphone jack.

• Canon T3/1100D

Didn't know if the T3i does have power supply via 3.5mm connection.

Announcements