cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic iso on manual mode?

koumiko
Contributor

Another question about 60d. Is it possible to shoot in manual camera mode with automatic iso? How can I set this?

I usually use manual mode to shoot, but since I am about to shoot with low and changeable light, I wonder if automatic iso can be helpful.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Yes, it is very easy to do. Just set your ISO to "A" for Auto and set the camera to Manual mode. 

_60D.jpg

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although possibile, it is no longer "manual"!?!? Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

And, unlike the other automatic modes (Av, Tv and P), you cannot apply any Exposure Compensation in Auto ISO mode. Any adjustments you make to the Manual (M) settings will essentially be overridden by the Auto ISO.

It would be even worse using Auto ISO in combination with Av, Tv or P. Then you would have an auto/auto situation and I would be concerned that the Auto ISO would negate any E.C. dialed into the AE mode being used.

Personally I am still looking for situations where Auto ISO would be particularly helpful... Where the other auto exposure modes (Av, Tv and P), without Auto ISO, aren't better choices. The only thing I can think of would be a very rare situation where I really needed a specific shutter speed and a specific aperture, and didn't need any Exposure Compensation at all. I have yet to see that situation occur, but am open to other suggestions!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

"It would be even worse using Auto ISO in combination with Av, Tv or P. Then you would have an auto/auto situation and I would be concerned that the Auto ISO would negate any E.C. dialed into the AE mode being used."

In the Creative Modes (except M) with Auto ISO the camera will select the lowest ISO consistent with camera settings. When the camera settings max out then ISO starts increasing. Auto ISO will not alter any dialed in exposure compensation.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I am like Alan Myers, trying to figure out why. Even in a CA mode you aren't really in CA if the camera is allowed to select it's own thing?!?

EB

Isn't the camera doing its own thing in all modes to a greater or lesser degree. In P mode:

Program Mode.JPG

In Tv the aperture is selected by the camera to match the Tv, ISO and light level. In Av mode the shutter speed is selected to match aperture, ISO and light level.

In M mode you can select a Tv and Av and have Auto ISO give you correct exposure.

The "creative" aspect is picking shutter speed or aperture to match an effect you want.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Isn't the camera doing its own thing in all modes to a greater or lesser degree"

Not in "manual".  You may have a point in a CA, Tv or Av but still I see those as settings, you the photographer, wants to set.

There is no way you can call it manual mode if the camera selects something automatically for you.

Maybe I am just too old school.

EB
Announcements