cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom function on the Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm Lens

BiometrisInc
Contributor

I wanted to get some assistance confirming whether this DSLR and the stock lens provided by the manufacturer, Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm Lens, has auto zoom capabilities or if it is only able to perform zoom functions manually by rotation of the lens body.

In the case that it has autozoom functions, can someone please tell me how to access this from the camera's controls and also if autozoom is a function available on all attached lenses vs. only being possible on a select few. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

You're asking for servo zoom, where the lens has a motor in it to move the zoom feature, and the camera has controls to operate that.  This is not a common feature in interchangable-lens cameras.  It does exist on some high-end cameras designed for movie shooting, but for cameras like this, not so much.  Most still photographers don't need power zoom; twisting the lens to zoom is usually fine.  High-end movie shooters will kit their cameras out with motors to operate aperture, focus and zoom via gears on the lens, but that's a whole other world.

There are lenses that have zoom servos built in, with buttons on the lens to operate it.  Again, though, these are rare and expensive.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

You're asking for servo zoom, where the lens has a motor in it to move the zoom feature, and the camera has controls to operate that.  This is not a common feature in interchangable-lens cameras.  It does exist on some high-end cameras designed for movie shooting, but for cameras like this, not so much.  Most still photographers don't need power zoom; twisting the lens to zoom is usually fine.  High-end movie shooters will kit their cameras out with motors to operate aperture, focus and zoom via gears on the lens, but that's a whole other world.

There are lenses that have zoom servos built in, with buttons on the lens to operate it.  Again, though, these are rare and expensive.

Thank you for your prompt response. So for an entry level video camera, are you saying there are no canon interchangable-lens DSLR models available that enable servo zoom?

For move shooters looking to use a motor operated zoom function, would you recommend any models for this camera specifically.  

So for an entry level video camera, are you saying there are no canon interchangable-lens DSLR models available that enable servo zoom?

I believe that is correct.  I mean new cameras are coming out all the time, but as far as I know.

For move shooters looking to use a motor operated zoom function, would you recommend any models for this camera specifically.  

Ummm.... really?  For a Rebel?  I would say no.  But I guess you could try this one:

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate conversation.]

Only if cost wasn't a factor. Thank you!

Yeah, sorry, I don't think I was being clear when i said "not a common feature".  I have been doing SLR photography for well over 30 years and I have never been in the same room as a servo zoom lens.  So seriously, not common.  If you're coming up from compact cameras, where of course they are routine, you might expect interchangeable-lens cameras to be a straight "upgrade", but it's not that simple.

Having said that, it's not impossible.  Sony have some power zoom lenses, controlled from the lens; and I keep having this nagging feeling that someone announced a camera that could control power zoom.  So it might not be so out of reach, if it's something ou really need.

Biometrisinc,

You might look at the Canon 18-135 IS STM lens. It can be used with the PZ E-1 Power Zoom adapter.

Steve Thomas

Nice. Have you used this before "stevet1". With this lens attached to a Canon EOS Rebel SL3, how would you autzoom. I.e. zoom without having too manually turn the lens body to perform focused close-up recording of far away objects

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking forward to trying this out.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is the PZ-E1, and it worked only on the EF 18-135 USM lens, not the STM. They are no longer made, and there were so few I doubt you could find a used one.

Announcements