cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 doesn't recognize EOS Ra

srchilders928
Contributor

I have a new PC with Windows 11, and I installed EOS Utility 3.15 for Windows.  My 7D Mk II connects perfectly through this version of EOS Utility, but EOS Utility does not recognize my EOS Ra.  The computer does see the Ra; it shows up on the Device List as Unknown Canon Digital Camera, whereas the 7D Mk II shows up on the Device List specifically as the 7D Mk II.  I have no problems connecting both cameras on a Mac through its version of EOS Utility.  Anyone have any ideas?  I am new to Windows, so maybe I'm stupid.

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Is there a particular reason why you have to use the Canon Utility - what are you trying to achieve with the program?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yes.  I have to do remote bulb shooting for astrophotography.  There is a Windows app, Backyard EOS, that does the same thing only much better, but it is showing the same exact issues with the EOS Ra (but not 7D Mk II) that EOS Utility does.  I'm assuming that if I can fix one, I will fix the other.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It seems like this is something specific to the Ra, and very few of us have that technology.  I would encourage you to contact Canon's help line for some expert help on that one.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It could be unique to the Ra.  But, I do not think that is very likely.  What sets the Ra apart is mostly the sensor filtering and the firmware.  USB ports are probably identical to the EOS E.

The 7D2 is an older body, which probably uses an older Canon chipset for USB ports.  I am willing to bet that all of the more recent Canon releases will encounter the same issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The EOS Ra is basically an EOS R with a modified sensor and a couple of bells and whistles thrown in.  In fact, Canon doesn't even use a specific manual for the Ra; they use only the standard EOS R manual.  So I'm guessing that this problem would exist for the EOS R as well, but of course I could be wrong.  But you're right: I should probably just contact Canon directly.

The issue is almost certainly the name. There's absolutely no way your computer can tell what kind of filter is in the camera. But EOS utility almost certainly has a hardcoded list of camera names that it works with. "R" is on there; "Ra" presumably was forgotten, and since it's such a niche camera, no-one at Canon noticed.

Good news is that this can probaby be fixed by Canon just adding "Ra" to the list of supported cameras. But that would be work, plus testing, plus the release process. So it's still not very easy.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What brand of computer do you have?  Prior to the release of Windows 11, many users reporting issues with running Canon apps that connected to cameras via USB were not using Intel chipsets.

I have not checked, but does your version of the EOS Utility support Windows 11?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My computer is HP, with an Intel i5 chip.

According to Canon's pull-down menu for operating systems, EOS Utility 3.15 supports Windows 11.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"The computer does see the Ra; it shows up on the Device List as Unknown Canon Digital Camera"

Maybe someone on the forum that has an EOS R can see if they get the same error.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements