cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which flash is best for my Canon SL3?

morgansimoneca
Contributor

Hi! I've been doing some research to find a Canon flash that is compatible with my SL3, since my third party options are unable to work since the center pin is missing on the hot shoe. I've found several options, but before I purchase one of them, can someone tell me from this list, which ones will work with my SL3? I'm trying to be budget friendly as well, but I'm in need of a flash that works when I'm doing studio shoots so I don't have to use my Nikon. 

Here's the list of Canon Speedlites I've found that may work: 

• EL-100
  • 600 EXII-RT
  • 430 EX
  • 430 EX II 
  • 430 EX-RT
  • 470 EX-AI
  • 270 EX-II
  • 90 EX

Out of this list, which would work for my Canon SL3? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

If you are triggering the Godox strobes optically, you can probably use any on-camera flash.

But if you are using wireless "radio" triggering with the Godox strobes, you will probably need to use a Godox flash or trigger unit. As KVBarkley noted, all manufacturers have their own unique radio control and triggering. I don't use Godox, so you should check with them what's compatible with your strobes. They probably have a website that can tell you... or will provide an email address for support. 

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Any Canon ETTL-2  flash will work. All the ones on your list are pretty recent and should work nicely.

If your SL3 can be an optical master, one of the optical slaves, like the 430EX would be handy. It works great with my T6S.

Thank you! Could you elaborate on what you mean as an optical master? Also, do you know which of the flashes listed (if applicable) have sensors? I realized if I have a flash with a sensor, it can 'talk' to other strobes and trigger external lights that I use within studio settings. 

Sorry, it looks like your SL3's internal flash cannot be a master. With My T6S, my internal flash can control other flashes like my 430EX via optical flashes.

I believe all of the flashes you list except the 270EX and 90EX have optical or RF sensors.

Okay, after looking to see what's available this is what I came up with! 

Just to clarify, I should not chose the 270EX, based on what I'm trying to use it for correct? 

Out of what's available, these are what I found! Could you best rank them based on what I'm using them for (ie. studio portraits, strobe lights for night photography, etc.) to help determine my final solution? 

• EL-100 
  • 430EX 
  • 430EX II
  • 430EX III-RT
  • 600EX II-RT 
  • 470 EX-AI

(I also found the 270EX II, but did not include it based on the previous comment)

Are you intending to buy two? One for master and the other for slave?

Do you have existing equipment you are trying to be compatible with?

(Oh, and it appears that Canon is modifying their terminology. It is no longer "master" and "slave". It is now "sender" and "receiver")

Of those you list, the 600EX is probably the most capable, the EL-100 a good basic unit that will fit into your system when you expand it to take advantage of wireless flash.

I suggest you wait for others to chime in.

Yes, I would be using the external flash to pair with my existing Godox strobes! I'm just looking for something that will transmit the signal to my existing lights, so I guess it would be the sender. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Here is a detail from the system map, but don't consider this an exhaustive list of flashes - especially if they are newer than the SL3!

Untitled.jpg

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Generally wireless flashes are not compatible across brands.

amfoto1
Authority

If you are triggering the Godox strobes optically, you can probably use any on-camera flash.

But if you are using wireless "radio" triggering with the Godox strobes, you will probably need to use a Godox flash or trigger unit. As KVBarkley noted, all manufacturers have their own unique radio control and triggering. I don't use Godox, so you should check with them what's compatible with your strobes. They probably have a website that can tell you... or will provide an email address for support. 

1.JPG

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to facilitate discussion.]

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Announcements