cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does R5 use mechanical shutter for focus bracketing?

Bazsl
Rising Star

Most of the time my R5 uses the electronic shutter for focus bracketing but sometimes it uses the mechanical shutter (the noise is unmistakable). Can anyone tell me the conditions under which the mechanical shutter is used? Thanks.

Bill

1 REPLY 1

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@Bazsl wrote:

Most of the time my R5 uses the electronic shutter for focus bracketing but sometimes it uses the mechanical shutter (the noise is unmistakable). Can anyone tell me the conditions under which the mechanical shutter is used?

Hello, Bill!

My guess would be the number of shots you are taking. I've been focus stacking a long time, even from the DSLR days. After switching to primarily MILC's and there built in bracketing feature, I do recall hearing the mechanical shutter a few times, but honestly don't remember which of the MILC's I was using. Since my first attempts at it with MILC's, I've learned a lot about getting the best results. I shoot more frames than I probably need, both in front of, on, and behind my subject with a tight increment between focal planes. Generally at least 30 frames (even for small subjects). I mention this because since starting this method, I have never heard the mechanical shutter being used, hence my guess about number of shots. At first, I was experimenting and taking fewer shots, and as mentioned, I don't remember which MILC used mechanical. It was most likely the R6. I had already developed a "best results" method when I started using the R5.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements