cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do I upgrade my EOS Rebel XSi???

msawa
Contributor

I have taken over 25,000 photos with my Canon Rebel XSi and have had it for about 5 years. It has traveIed over 60,000 miles and has absolutely seen better days. I have purchased some lenses and started to begin making large prints.

When do I upgrade?

How much do I upgrade?

I am willing to spend $1,000 on a body.

Do I buy a nice used?

or a fresh new?

I am leaving for europe in 2 weeks and am seeking advice.

Help!

Examples of photos I take:

http://500px.com/MaxSawa

15 REPLIES 15

@msawa wrote:

I only ask to not combat your point, but to seek more insight on how I can fix these.

with only 12.2 MP I feel that when I enlargemy photos I am missing a great deal of detail.

I feel as if the contrast the XSi provides is no great (this could just be lighting)

Shutter speed is low

no video

Most of my night photos are grainy due to my low ISO settings paired with my MP's

Thanks again Skirball for the insight!

That's all I was looking for.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from upgrading, just encouraging you to think about why you are considering upgrading.

If you want to shoot video then it's a no brainer, you need a new camera.  Which one is the decision.

You'll get a bit of an  increase in high ISO performance moving to any of the crop sensor SLRs that Canon has released in the last few years.  But to get a truly large bump in performance you'd need to get a full frame camera, but that's way outside your budget.  As HSBN said above, you're better off putting your money towards faster lenses.

The slow shutter speed is an interesting comment.  I rarely bump up against the 1/4000 limit myself.  But if you find that to be a limitation then you're going to have to go up to the next level of crop sensor cameras.  You may be able to find a 60D in your price range.   If you can convince yourself that you don't need 1/8000 shutter then I would recommend either a refurbished T3i, or a T5i, which you can find new if you want.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am willing to spend $1,000 on a body."

This puts a servere limit on any meaningful upgrade.   Any of the new Rebels will be better spec wise but may not be better results wise.  Plus any will gain you video but the ideal best choice for you, IMHO, would be the ESO 7D.

A true professional level camera especially when comparing to a Rebel series camera.

It will use any lens that you may already have but any of the large assortment of 24-70mm f2.8 lenses out there will make a true upgrade.

This could double your $1000 budget limit, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 is also a pretty good lens for under $1000.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

"Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 is also a pretty good lens for under $1000."

Yes, sir, it is a very good lens.  A second choice is the Sigma version 17-50mm f2.8 EX.  I was lucky enough to get it for $400 bucks because of a sale at Adorama.  Personally I probably would not have bought it for $600, full retail is $900, but at $400 it was irresistible. It has a silly quirk of the focusing ring moving as it focuses.  A little tricky to get used to.  But all in all a very sharp lens with IS and maybe even better IQ than the Canon version.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I know that we're giving him a lot of option now, but I forgot about the 18-35 F1.8 lens from Sigma. It's the fastest zoom lens for crop body. 🙂

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I love all the feedback!

Thank you everyone!

I just picked up a 50mm 1.4

( I love fixed lenses)

....and decided to get more the wide angle, thanks everyone!

Announcements