cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What choices do I have to save videos from an EOS R5 C?

pedz
Enthusiast

I have an EOS R5 C.  I do not (yet) have the WFT-R10A.  The reviews of it are pretty bad.

I tend to save my video files on the CFExpress card.  I have a Mac running the latest Ventura release (macOS 13.2).

I had Wise CFExpress type B cards and a Wise card reader.  About 6 weeks ago, I had problems and I assumed it was the card so I bought two new SanDisk CFExpress type B cards.  I didn't test things...

Yesterday, I shot videos and today I can not get the files off of the card.  I'm 99% sure that it is the card reader.  I also have a EOS R5 and had similar problems with its CFExpress card.  In that case, I could put the card back in the camera, connect it via USB-C, and then import the images via Lightroom.  (Canon's EOS Utility 3 would also work in this case.)

I plan to go buy another CFExpress card reader.  But, I'm wondering if there are other alternatives -- mostly for future reference.

I saw one person comment that he "mounted the Camera" on his Windows machine via USB-C.  I've connected the camera to my laptop and turned it on both trying Video and Photo.  The Mac asks if I trust it.  I say yes.  But that is all that happens.  Disk Utility does not show any disks to mount.

The EOS Utility and EOS Utility 3 can not find the videos on the R5 C.  My guess is because they are not in the same folder structure as the EOS R5 and other EOS photo cameras.

I have not tried Canon video utilities.  I use Adobe products such as Premiere Pro and After Effects so Canon's video software hasn't been of interest to me but if it can retrieve the videos from the camera, I'll go try.

With the card reader I have, when I put the card in the reader, it mounts and I can list the files but when I try to transfer the files to the laptop, I soon get errors.  As I said, I had the exact same symptoms with the other card from the EOS R5.  In that case, I could offload the images via Lightroom.  Also, I can put the card back into the EOS R5 C and view the videos in "Media Mode".  So I'm pretty sure the card is good -- it's the card reader that isn't working.  And... it was working fine up until Ventura which is roughly when all these issues popped up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I always format the card in the camera.  With the R5C, since I use it mostly for videos, I do that via the Video side of the house.

I just went to Best Buy and got a SanDisk card reader.  It works.  Incredibly fast. 17G in what seemed about 80 seconds.

The first failure message was from the Finder.  I grab the disk image and move it to a folder hitting the option key so the plus sign shows up and a copy is made.  I can't remember the exact message but basically some type of error.

I also tried cp and rsync via the command line and got "Input/Output" errors.  So:

TL; DR -- Wise card reader does not work on Ventura.  Or... don't buy Wise.  Stick with SanDisk or maybe Lexar.  I bought Wise because at the time the 512G size for the trusted brands was not on the market yet.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What types of errors are you getting when trying to copy files from the CFExpress card using the reader to your Mac?

I've never used Wise cards (haven't heard of them prior to your post), so cannot comment on quality or reliability of that brand.  I mostly have used SanDisk media, but now only use that brand for photos.  All my current videos are captured using Angelbird media.

For card readers, I use either my LaCie 2big external RAID with built-in SD UHS-I and Compact Flash readers (use that with the SanDisk media in use by my 5D IV).  Or the built-in SD UHS-II slot on my iMac Pro for working with the Angelbird media.   I've not experienced any types of errors when transfering photos or videos in this manner.

Did you format the cards in camera before capturing your videos?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I always format the card in the camera.  With the R5C, since I use it mostly for videos, I do that via the Video side of the house.

I just went to Best Buy and got a SanDisk card reader.  It works.  Incredibly fast. 17G in what seemed about 80 seconds.

The first failure message was from the Finder.  I grab the disk image and move it to a folder hitting the option key so the plus sign shows up and a copy is made.  I can't remember the exact message but basically some type of error.

I also tried cp and rsync via the command line and got "Input/Output" errors.  So:

TL; DR -- Wise card reader does not work on Ventura.  Or... don't buy Wise.  Stick with SanDisk or maybe Lexar.  I bought Wise because at the time the 512G size for the trusted brands was not on the market yet.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi pedz & Ricky,

Just to add some other options.  I'm using ProGrade and Angelbird cards with my R5 C.  I have the ProGrade dual card reader PG05.  All work well together.

Wise, I'd not heard of them before either.  They are Canon compatible according to B&H's website

shadowsports_0-1678043528195.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements