cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem - My T7's red light keeps flashing even while turned off

leo_santisteban
Apprentice

I bought my T7 around 2 years ago and have been using it a lot. On the last month, I have been having a very strange problem.

Not always, but often, the camera's red light will take quite long to turn off when writing photos to the memory card (whether i take a couple or 10 photos in a row, it takes a while for the light to turn off), but I don't think it is actually taking that long to write the photos to the SD as it still lets me take photos with the buffer filling up as slowly/quickly as usual.

While the red light is on, although it lets me take photos normally and the AF seems to work perfectly, the screen will not turn on. Often, even after the red light turns off, the screen will still not turn on so I have to turn the camera off and on (and even this will sometimes not work forcing me to take out the battery).

Today, something even stranger happened. The red light kept flashing even while the camera was turned off, even after taking the SD and the battery out and putting them in again, it kept happening. However, I turned it on and started viewing the photos on the LCD, and when I turned it off the light didn't flash anymore.

This all just seems so strange as all these things I mentioned don't always happen. I have already tried using 3 different SD cards so that's not the problem. I have also tried cleaning the SD card slot with an air blower.

I'm not sure about my T7's shutter count as it is difficult to check it on Rebel cameras but I estimate it to be past 100k actuations. Maybe it has to do with the shutter? I doubt it because the camera takes photos perfectly fine though..

Does anyone know what the problem may be and how to fix it? Has this happened to anyone else?

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults. See if that helps.

I already tried that and it didn’t work.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What kind of SD Cards. If you're using Micro SD Cards in an adapter discontinue the use of them. You're camera was designed for Full Sized SD Cards. Also what size SD Cards are you using. I would suggest using multiple smaller 32 GB SD Cards. Lower end Digital Rebels such as your camera don't like 64GB SD Cards for some reason.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Maybe it has to do with that! The three SD’s I used were MicroSD’s with adapters (32 and 64 gb). Next time I go out shooting I’ll try using a couple of 16gb SD cards I have and see if I keep having the same problem. Thank you!

The red lamp on the camera body flashes. When the camera is accessing the memory card. If you do buy new SD Cards. Go with 32GB Class 10 Full Size SD Cards. Get a minimum of 2. I personally keep 6 in my camera bag. Avoid using one large SD Card. If it were to fail you would loose all of your pictures. Stick with well known card brands such as Lexar, SanDisk and Prograde Digital. Buy cards from a reputable company such as B&H Photo, Adorama, Best Buy, a local camera store or any other electronics store. DO NOT BUY cards from Amazon, eBay or Walmart. They often use 3rd Party marketplaces. Unless it says Sold and Shipped by Amazon for instance. If it doesn't say that you could likely get a counterfeit SD Card.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements