cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Pixels EOS R6

pillarpaul
Contributor

I shoot with an R6 and lately have been getting a very large # of seemingly hot pixels (red, blue and white streaked ones) in dark areas of short exposure, good light images .Ran the covered lens cap test that showed no hot pixels. A sample photo attached. Image has been denoised in LR (Enhanced). Similar results when run through Topaz DN. Look at the dark feathers on the back of the Night Heron as well as the rocks to see the worst. Any thoughts? Gotten worse lately so perhaps a sensor issue although note it's all over the image.

Heron-Sample-1.jpg

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Viewing your sample photo, I couldn't tell what you are referring to. The spots just look like sunlit highlights/reflections to me. Can you provide a less busy photo showing the problem?

Peter
Authority
Authority

Share raw samples.

If you want to take a look at hot pixels, make sure you do it before demosaicing is done.

dcraw, LibRaw, darktable, RawTherapee, AnotherRawTherapee, RawDigger all have that feature.

pillarpaul
Contributor

My bad - it is hard to tell from the samples so here is a screenshot of a portion of a SOOC raw image that has no sun on it to appear to be a sunspot. Pixels obviously marked with arrows.  

Thank you for your help.

PaulHeron-Sample-2.jpgHeron-Sample-3.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think that they are stuck pixels. If you have taken a photo with the lens cap on, and saw no stuck pixels, I think your camera is fine. Can you take a photo of a simple background without editing and upload for us to evaluate?

Here is a screenshot of a SOOC Raw image from just now. No stuck pixels but it's an overcast day so not the high contrast of the past week. Thank you, Bob.

Background-1.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since this photo shows no stuck pixels, your camera is fine. The heron photo, in my opinion, is showing specular highlights from sunlight reflections.

Thank you for checking, Bob. I had originally thought that but the large number of those stuck pixels in shaded, dark areas that would get no sunlight reflections (I have many other images with them that have no sunlight) makes me still wonder about it.

Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stuck pixels wouldn't be elongated and blurry like that. They would be small, round and fairly sharp. A lot of dust on the sensor might look similar to what you are referring to. Take a look at your sensor to see if it is dirty.

Had the sensors professionally cleaned about a month ago and some other shots have this while others don't so not universal since the cleaning.

Announcements