cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Pixels EOS R6

pillarpaul
Contributor

I shoot with an R6 and lately have been getting a very large # of seemingly hot pixels (red, blue and white streaked ones) in dark areas of short exposure, good light images .Ran the covered lens cap test that showed no hot pixels. A sample photo attached. Image has been denoised in LR (Enhanced). Similar results when run through Topaz DN. Look at the dark feathers on the back of the Night Heron as well as the rocks to see the worst. Any thoughts? Gotten worse lately so perhaps a sensor issue although note it's all over the image.

Heron-Sample-1.jpg

18 REPLIES 18

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your arrows seem to be pointing at drops of water.  Your camera seems fine, to me.  

Also, you are looking at images that have gone through a “de-noise” algorithm.  Were those “spots” present in the image before you processed it?  That’s the first question that you need to clear up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Actually, the two images with arrows are unprocessed SOOC RAW images simply screenshot. It may not show well but the pixels I question are either red or blue (not the white reflections) and are identical to what I get in my Milky Way shots in terms of hot pixels, which are usually caused by high ISO, of course, whereas these were shot at about 800 ISO.

Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Taking a photo with the lens cap on will reveal the stuck pixels, if any. You have already done this test, so I believe you are in the clear, so to speak.

@pillarpaul wrote:

Actually, the two images with arrows are unprocessed SOOC RAW images simply screenshot. It may not show well but the pixels I question are either red or blue (not the white reflections) and are identical to what I get in my Milky Way shots in terms of hot pixels, which are usually caused by high ISO, of course, whereas these were shot at about 800 ISO.

Paul

No one noticed any noticeable issues in the original image.  

This is why “pixel peeping” is bad for your brain.  It can and will make your head spin as chase problems down rabbit holes.  I still say it looks like drops of water.  Water can reflect light. 

The original image is a very nice shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

LOL. I know - I need to reduce my pixel-peeping habit! 

Thanks for the compliment on the original image.

Paul

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Do you see similar results if you do your RAW processing in DPP4?

I do have it but have never used. I will try to see if I can import some images. I guess that could tell me if the problem is in LR rather than the camera if I don't have the same issue in DPP4. Thank you!

Paul

And it's not even to say that LR itself is causing the issue you're seeing. It may be something in your workflow in LR that is neither right or wrong in itself. But working in DPP4 or DxO OpticsPro or some other RAW editing software may force you to unconsciously change your workflow and provide equal or better results.

Thanks, BU. Interesting observation. I downloaded DPP4 yesterday and I tried to use but I will need to watch the video tutorial first. I do have a rather complex workflow currently so you may be on to something. Hopefully I can test it out this week.

Paul

Announcements