cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewfinder is Pitch Black?

Prismaticawolf
New Contributor

I recently bought my T6I and when I put my eye to the viewfinder it's pitch black?

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or failed to set something up because everyone says to look through it and when I do i can't see anything.

7 REPLIES 7

Ray-uk
Reputable Contributor

There are a few reasons that you cannot see through the viewfinder:

1. You have the camera switched to live view.

2. You have the lens cap on.

3. You have mirror lockup enabled.

4. Your camera has a fault.

Prismaticawolf
New Contributor
1. so to use it the lcd screen needs to be off?
2. what is that

No, you can use it 2 ways, with the LCD screen (Liveview) or through the viewfinder. You cannot do both at the same time.

Prismaticawolf
New Contributor
I meant number 3* not 2 sorry about that

Ray-uk
Reputable Contributor

@Prismaticawolf wrote:

Mirror lockup is a setting you can use usually for long exposures that enables you to lock the mirror in the raised position to minimize camera shake. Not something you would normally use so I shouldn't worry about it as long as you leave it disabled in the camera set up menu.

@Prismaticawolf wrote:

Your next step has to be to start reading the camera manual, If you don't have the full version, you can download it from Canon's Web site.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have a T5i, so I think the operation is going to be similar.

If the camera is switched off and you can't see through the optical viewfinder either the lens cap is on or the camera is defective. Both LiveView and mirror lockup are released when the camera is powered off.

If mirror lockup is enabled in Custom Functions it will lockup when the shutter button is pressed and blackout the view finder.

What do you see inside the camera when it is powered off and you remove the lens?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic