cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DSLR lenses on old Canon Rebel G

nloc811
Apprentice
I recently picked up a Canon Rebel G for basically nothing. It came with the kit lens, took a few rolls of expired film for fun and now I'm thinking of playing around with it more to see what I can do with it. The only other film lenses I have are FD mount, but I'm thinking I can use my DSLR glass on this Rebel G, am I right? I've got the entire Sigma art line for my 5D Mk II's.
Am I wrong about the mount on this Rebel G? Or can I actually use my good glass on this plastic body?
11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Any EF Canon lens should work fine. Your third party lenses may have firmware issues, but I doubt that they can be corrected for such an old camera.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I think they all will work.  It is usually newer camera models that don't work.  Older models don't seem to have that trouble.

If they don't, however, they won't and never will as like kv says, you aren't likely to be able to up/down grade them!

"I've got the entire Sigma art line ..."   Wow, I am highly impressed.  They are very fine lenses aren't they?  The 50mil Art is said to be the sharpest lens made.  I believe it.  The 35mm is no slouch either!  I have the 35, 50 and 85mm Art.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was thinking that  Sigma might gave up backwards compatibility to work with newer cameras.

You want sharp?

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/07/experiments-for-ultra-high-resolution-camera-sensors/

Well I can't say with any certainty as I don't have and never had a Rebel G.  That is just my guess which may be pretty worthless.  He will just have to give it a go.

EB

Yep, suck it and see!

nloc811
Apprentice
Thanks guys! Not getting notifications for any replies, so I'm glad I decided to come back and check it out. Also, kvbarkley you are so right about Sigma art- sharper than their Canon competitors and I like the feel of them better. The only one I own that I did not own the Cano version of first is the 24-105. I had the Canon 24-70 and upgraded to the Sigma Art 24-105. Love them all! I'm shooting a roll of Portrait 800 on my Rebel G w/an ol Canon 50mm 1.4 I picked up second hand right now. I might put my Sigma Art 35mm on it next.

I am with you on most of the Siggy Art lenses but there is no way the Siggy 24-70mm is better than the Canon ef 24-70mm f2.8L II.  No by a long shot.

Two Canon lenses have no competition and that is the afore mentioned 24-70 and its big brother ef 70-200mm f2.8L II.

I consider these to be the best zoom lenses made.

EB

nloc811
Apprentice
Porta 400** gotta love autocorrect 🙄

nloc811
Apprentice
No, I had the original Canon 24-70mm f/4. The sigma art 24-105mm f/4 is better, IMO.
Announcements