cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent Help Needed: Lost 500 Photos from Canon 70D SD Card - Seeking Recovery Assistance

thanhlp18
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I've lost around 500 photos from my SD card while shooting with a Canon 70D. I've tried using recovery software, but none of the photos I took appeared in the recovery process. I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similar situation?

Details are as follows:

• Device: Canon 70D
  • Memory card: Sandisk SDHC 16GB
  • Shooting date: 8/12
  • Recovery software used: photoRec, Sandisk Rescue, and Recuva -> the photos recovered were from 29/11 and 24/11
  • (Image below the post) There's a file named USBC& on the SD card when I plug it into my computer. It's approximately 2GB in size, but I can't access it in any way (open, copy, move). I suspect it might be related to my photos.

My speculations:

• (1) The photos might not have been written to the card because if they were, and the card was full, the chance of scanning photos from 29/11 and 24/11 would be relatively low. However, when I was shooting, I reviewed the photos on the camera, and they appeared fine. So maybe it's not due to a full card.
  • (2) Could the USBC& file contain all my photos?

Has anyone encountered this issue before and could guide me? These photos are extremely important to me. 😔Screenshot_1.jpg

2 REPLIES 2

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

Might want to take a look at this

File system corruption and USBC folder and files.. – DiskTuna // Photo Repair & Photo Recovery

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Peter
Authority
Authority

I think jaewoosong is on the right track. Take a look at the video in his link, especially about usbc-sector-patcher. Take a full disk image of your card and work with that copy. Don't work with your original card.

There is a bug report about Linux and "Hibernate may destroy fat32 partitions on USB-devices". Perhaps something like that happened?

Just a comment about Photorec you already tried and know how it works. Make sure you Enable the Exper mode in Options, whole disk, start a recovery and when asked use a 512 bytes blocksize. Choose no for unformat.

OptionsOptions

Expert mode: YesExpert mode: Yes

Block size: 512Block size: 512

Announcements