cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from t1i?

Jgcasper3
Apprentice
I have a canon rebel t1i. It's in really good condition. I started out as a hobby but have found myself transitioning to early stages of a business. I have an 18-50mm kit lense and a 50mm f/1.8 lense. The lense made a world of difference and have loved using it.
My question is should I upgrade to a full frame like the 6D or a 5D markiii? I have seen on other forums where people say to just upgrade your lense you should be fine- but I have been trying to take pictures that just turn out not as clear as I would like. (I probably should look into getting my camera/lens calibrated). And seeing as I'm wanting to take it further from hobby to small business I feel like I should consider the jump as I will need to eventually anyway? Thoughts?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well for certain lenses are where it's at.  But a T1i is getting pretty long in the tooth so I would probably upgrade it.

Can you handle the 5D Mk III big price increase over a Rebel?  Say, like the T6i ?  If you can it's the one to get but you need to upgrade your lenses if you do.  A T6i will still use what you have.

"I have an 18-50mm kit lense and a 50mm f/1.8 lense."  I guess by the first lens you mean the standard 'kit' lense?  You do know it ain't the best?  The 50mm f1.8 is an OK lens but not the best either.  These are letting you down.

The addition of the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens may be all you need.  But it will require you stick with a Rebel, like the T6i later for instance.

"I probably should look into getting my camera/lens calibrated"

What does that mean?  You don't 'claibrate' a camera.  You can have a lens calibrated. 

You will have to have a pretty healthy bank account to go 5D3 or even 6D because of the need for better lenses along with the camera.  But in the end either is far more professonal (from hobby to small business) than a Rebel.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Jgcasper3 wrote:
I have a canon rebel t1i. It's in really good condition. I started out as a hobby but have found myself transitioning to early stages of a business. I have an 18-50mm kit lense and a 50mm f/1.8 lense. The lense made a world of difference and have loved using it.
My question is should I upgrade to a full frame like the 6D or a 5D markiii? I have seen on other forums where people say to just upgrade your lense you should be fine- but I have been trying to take pictures that just turn out not as clear as I would like. (I probably should look into getting my camera/lens calibrated). And seeing as I'm wanting to take it further from hobby to small business I feel like I should consider the jump as I will need to eventually anyway? Thoughts?

I would look at a crop camera with micro focus adjustment like the 70D or 80D instead of a full frame camera. The 70D is more than capable of taking you that next step from hobby to small business. Use the money saved on new lenses and flash gear.

From CANON 70D WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER REVIEW by tomKphoto.com

THREE REASONS WHY I SHOOT WEDDINGS IN APS-C

Some reading this might think it’s much ado about nothing. After all, doesn’t every wedding photographer on the planet shoot with full 35mm frame bodies? Who cares about a new crop body? Some quick decision-making bullet points …

1. I VALUE A LIGHTER CAMERA

The combination of the Canon 70D and EF-S 10~22mm ultrawide zoom weighs 1,141 grams — almost 30% less than a Canon 5DmkIII & EF 16-35 ƒ4 combo (1,565 grams). Not that much of a difference for casual shooting, but after the 9th hour your neck, back, arms and wrists will thank you. Take that all-day weight savings, and multiply it over 2, 3, even 4 weddings a week (which I shoot).

2. I VALUE A LIGHTER CAMERA WITH GREATER TELEPHOTO REACH

Because of the 1.6x Canon EF-S crop factor, your 24~70 zoom is now a 38~112, and your 70~200 zoom is now a 112~320. There’s a real payoff there for subject isolation when shooting ceremonies outdoors. A Canon 70D with a mounted EF 50mm ƒ1.2 L is a practical performance equivalent of a full 35mm frame combination of a 5dmkIII and Sigma 85mm ƒ1.4. Weight difference? 1,345 grams vs 1,675 … a 20% savings

3. THERE ISN’T THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE

I can’t say it any better than photographer Zach Arias did in his frequently-referenced 2014 video, Crop or Crap? — plus the reality of a growing number of wedding photographers like Kevin Mullins that are migrating to APS-C. Over time, I should update a link list of other APS-C wedding shooters so I can be reminded that I’m not the only one, lol. With Fujifilm’s full entry into APS-C, more professionals than every are coming back around. Don’t complain about the weight of full frame, do something about it.

Most people make way more of a big deal about the crop vs FF than is actually is.  That is because they are inter web readers and not photography doers.  The word or name "crop camera" is the worse thing that got tacked upon photography.

In the first place it has nothing to do with sensor size. It does have everything to do with pixel size. Plus several other factors that have nothing to do with sensor size. My 2 cents and worth every penny.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well for certain lenses are where it's at.  But a T1i is getting pretty long in the tooth so I would probably upgrade it.

Can you handle the 5D Mk III big price increase over a Rebel?  Say, like the T6i ?  If you can it's the one to get but you need to upgrade your lenses if you do.  A T6i will still use what you have.

"I have an 18-50mm kit lense and a 50mm f/1.8 lense."  I guess by the first lens you mean the standard 'kit' lense?  You do know it ain't the best?  The 50mm f1.8 is an OK lens but not the best either.  These are letting you down.

The addition of the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens may be all you need.  But it will require you stick with a Rebel, like the T6i later for instance.

"I probably should look into getting my camera/lens calibrated"

What does that mean?  You don't 'claibrate' a camera.  You can have a lens calibrated. 

You will have to have a pretty healthy bank account to go 5D3 or even 6D because of the need for better lenses along with the camera.  But in the end either is far more professonal (from hobby to small business) than a Rebel.

EB
Announcements