cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade And Lenses

idanidan123
Enthusiast

Hey, I have the 1100D, and I have the 25-108mm and the 90-300mm lens. I've been using the 1100D more than a year and a half, and I really want a body upgrade. I've been searching alot,, and I've decided I want to get the 70D. Now my question is, if I do get the 70D, are my lenses compatible with it ?

Thanks in advance !

13 REPLIES 13

diverhank
Authority

@idanidan123 wrote:

Hey, I have the 1100D, and I have the 25-108mm and the 90-300mm lens. ... I've decided I want to get the 70D. Now my question is, if I do get the 70D, are my lenses compatible with it ?

I'm not familiar with the two lenses you're using...but since they fit on your 1100D (T3 in the US), they should fit on the 70D.  Both can take either the EF or EF-S mount lenses.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am not familiar with a 25-108mm lens from Canon.  Is that a typographical error? 

The EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 is an older lens design.  Newer and more current lens designs will offer significant image quality improvement of the 90-300mm lens.

As far as the body goes, while the 70D may offer more advanced features and slightly higher resolution, do not expect a significant upgrade in image quality with your older lenses.  Usually, the best way to improve image quality is to get a better lens. 

I would recommend the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens from Canon .

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Wow, where did you ever find an ef 90-300mil?  Of course any digital camera or lens makes pretty nice images. This one certainly challenges that thought!  But any way this is one part of your gear I would upgrade first.

Did you happen to transpose the numbers on your other lens? there was an ef 28-105mil but I don't recall any, or anybodies, 25-108?

OK, enough of that, there are other reasons to upgrade beside IQ.  It seems people always think IQ is the only or at least the paramount reason for an upgrade.  It isn't.  IQ is simply one spec in many that an upgraded body can offer.  Now, for you, does the 70D offer that?

It is a larger more robust body. I would want that. You need to read over the specs and features of each to see if it has what you need or want.  But be warned, IMHO, you need new lenses even though they will mount and work on a 70D.  That is if you want the best the 70D can offer, if not, go for it.  You'll love it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I got the 90-300mm feom eBay. Thanks for the advice !
One more question- does a more robust body mean a more comfortable, better feel in the hand body, or the other way around ?
One more thing- you're right ! It is the 28-105mm, sorry for the confusion.

@idanidan123 wrote:
I got the 90-300mm feom eBay. Thanks for the advice !
One more question- does a more robust body mean a more comfortable, better feel in the hand body, or the other way around ?
One more thing- you're right ! It is the 28-105mm, sorry for the confusion.

It all depends on your point of view. Most of us (in this forum) prefer the heavier, more robust bodies. But my wife, who has back problems and is unusually sensitive to the amount of weight she carries, prefers a lighter camera. It was a tough sell just to persuade her to give up her old T2i for a 7D Mark II. She won't even look at a full-frame camera. Fortunately, the 7D2 is a fine camera in its own right.

The bottom line is that there are good cameras in all form factors. Go to a place where you can get the feel of several different bodies and then decide what you prefer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Gotcha, thank you so much !

B from B hit the nail straight on the head with this.

"The bottom line is that there are good cameras in all form factors. Go to a place where you can get the feel of several different bodies and then decide what you prefer."

Try before you buy.  Even if it means you pay a little more it just might be worth it.  A local camera shop is best.  Perhaps you have a Best Buy close, also a good place to try.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Try before you buy.  Even if it means you pay a little more it just might be worth it.  A local camera shop is best.  Perhaps you have a Best Buy close, also a good place to try."

The big box stores are a good place for a test drive, but some are not a good place to buy big ticket items.  How can you tell which ones are bad?  Do the demo units work?  No, keep it moving..  I now only purchase my gear onlline directly from the Canon store, or online from B&H Photo Video in NYC.  I have done pickups at their NYC flagship store.  The WOW factor is high.

There are other reputable vendors.  I have just never tried any of them.  The service you get after the sale is more important than the service you get before the sale.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Wow, where did you ever find an ef 90-300mil?  Of course any digital camera or lens makes pretty nice images. This one certainly challenges that thought!  But any way this is one part of your gear I would upgrade first.

How can you say you would upgrade that lens when you haven't seen any photos made with that lens? Just curious.

Announcements