Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to take photo when camera horizontal

pfarquharson
Apprentice

Unable to take photo when camera horizontal

Camera Type:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens (old model)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What specifically happens when in landscape orientation? Do you hear the shutter mechanism?  If you put the camera into live view, do you see something on the screen only when in portrait?

Did you try resetting the camera?   Did you try using a different lens?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Do you have a battery grip on it?  Is it just the horizontal shutter release button quit working but the release on the grip still works?

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

pfarquharson
Apprentice
I will check and confirm findimgs

"Do you have a battery grip on it?"

More importantly if you do have a grip, is it a Canon brand grip?  If it is not it needs to be discarded.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Do a ful reset, Get a brand new CF card (top quality like Lexar, Sandisk, etc). New or at least fully cahrged battery (better to have a real Canon brand battery).  All the easy stuff. Make sure all this is right first!

If after reset to default settings, checked battery and you removed any grip and still can not take horizontal shots the camera is probably faulty.  I doubt it is a Canon serviceable body any longer, BTW.

The 5D Mk II will take photos in any position even upside down.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Do a ful reset, Get a brand new CF card (top quality like Lexar, Sandisk, etc). New or at least fully cahrged battery (better to have a real Canon brand battery).  All the easy stuff. Make sure all this is right first! prepaidcardstatus

If after reset to default settings, checked battery and you removed any grip and still can not take horizontal shots the camera is probably faulty.  I doubt it is a Canon serviceable body any longer, BTW.

The 5D Mk II will take photos in any position even upside down.

Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up.

Thank you Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements