cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off camera, SD Card, Access Lamp, Recording

probertson
Contributor

Using a 6d Mark II. Turned off the camera, got "Recording" message that would never stop. Access lamp never turned off. Do I have a problem with my SC card?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

probertson
Contributor
Reformatted and working fine now. Also using top quality so not sure why it did this

View solution in original post

SD cards withstand a large number of write cycles and the control logic automatically spreads out the data usage so if you consistently write around 10 gigs of data to a 64 gig card you won't be using the same 10 gigs of storage locations each time.  I believe the industry mean standard for standard quality SD cards (regardless of transfer rate or other parameters) is around 100K write cycles but that doesn't mean that every card will make that number or fail at that number but it does mean the card has a very long life in normal service and you are likely to lose the card or damage the contacts before it dies.  Newer SSD drives have far greater write cycle capability and provide a "health" report through smart technology but they are a different animal with much a much higher duty cycle in typical use.

I would take a good look at the card contacts under a magnifier to check for damage, "dirt", or wear and you can run chkdsk on a SD card in a PC just like you would a physical drive.

Unless you are using the SD card for a lot of different devices, the shutter in your DSLR should wear out well before the SD card memory due to high duty cycle.  They certainly do wear and that is one reason you NEVER want to have the system running defragmentation or other similar operations on a SSD because it isn't needed and needlessly shortens life.  I have never checked to see what is done during a fast full format of a SD or CF card but I suspect the wear is no greater than simply erasing the files.  I erase files after transfer and format the card in camera every couple of weeks during heavy usage.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Pretty easy to try a new one, isn't it? Smiley Frustrated  Make sure you are getting top quality and brand name SD cards.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

And NEVER use a micro SD card with adapter.

probertson
Contributor
Reformatted and working fine now. Also using top quality so not sure why it did this

"Also using top quality so not sure why it did this"

...and top quality retail outlets to purchase.  Amazon is not a top quality retailer, BTW.  Actually some are but some are not unless it is from Amazon itself.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
If this was the first time that you formatted the card, then that would explain everything.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

probertson
Contributor
Definitely not the first time formatted

"Definitely not the first time formatted"

They do wear out.  Maybe time to replace it.

EB

ebiggs1 that's what I was thinking.  Better safe than sorry.

SD cards withstand a large number of write cycles and the control logic automatically spreads out the data usage so if you consistently write around 10 gigs of data to a 64 gig card you won't be using the same 10 gigs of storage locations each time.  I believe the industry mean standard for standard quality SD cards (regardless of transfer rate or other parameters) is around 100K write cycles but that doesn't mean that every card will make that number or fail at that number but it does mean the card has a very long life in normal service and you are likely to lose the card or damage the contacts before it dies.  Newer SSD drives have far greater write cycle capability and provide a "health" report through smart technology but they are a different animal with much a much higher duty cycle in typical use.

I would take a good look at the card contacts under a magnifier to check for damage, "dirt", or wear and you can run chkdsk on a SD card in a PC just like you would a physical drive.

Unless you are using the SD card for a lot of different devices, the shutter in your DSLR should wear out well before the SD card memory due to high duty cycle.  They certainly do wear and that is one reason you NEVER want to have the system running defragmentation or other similar operations on a SSD because it isn't needed and needlessly shortens life.  I have never checked to see what is done during a fast full format of a SD or CF card but I suspect the wear is no greater than simply erasing the files.  I erase files after transfer and format the card in camera every couple of weeks during heavy usage.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements