cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Downloading Photos from EOS 20D

Mlworley22
Apprentice

I have a Canon 20D and a newer computer, a 2021 Dell Inspirion. I have downloaded pictures using the same computer, USB cable (the cable that came with the camera originally), & camera, several times.

I tried to do the same recently & it did not work. I tried using different cables to find out if it was the cable or the camera. To no avail. I am not sure what to do to correct the problem and I am not sure what the problem actually is. Has anyone else had this same issue? If so what were you able to do to fix it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

8 REPLIES 8

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I had a Dell and inserted the memory card directly into the card slot. Never tried WiFi to download photos. I used a cable but discovered the card slot. IMO, less to go wrong.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Thanks Tintype_18! Unfortunately, my camera uses a CF card instead of the normal SD card, my computer will take an SD card but not the CF card.

I have not tried using WiFi to download the pictures. I think I will try that avenue next. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thank you for your input! 

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Mlworley22,

It's possible that the ports on either your camera or computer have been damaged.

Have you tried reading any other data from the USB port on your computer, like from a thumb drive?

Have you tried downloading or reading data from your camera to a different computer?

Steve Thomas

Stevet1, I have tried other devices in the same port. I regularly use thumb drives in that same port for work. I do have an older laptop that I can try. 

Thank you for the advice!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The best solution is an external card reader. They are not expensive and you can get them at lots of places even Walmart. CF or SD no problem and they are fast.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ebiggs1, I have thought about getting an external card reader but just haven't done so yet. I may have to take that step to get this to work.

Thank you for the info!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes do it. It's unlikely your computer ports are faulty especially if other devices work using them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

You are welcome. This would be a good reason to buy a new camera and computer.😉

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements