cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumbnail and Image not in the same orientation in Windows Explorer

totaljustice
Apprentice

Hi, maybe someone can explain why Windows isn't picking up the proper image orientation in the thumbnail view in Windows 10. I have a Rebel T5 and the auto orientation is set on the camera. When I transfer the pictures to the computer using the Canon Software, the image and thumbnail show the same orientation in the Canon Software but not in the Windows Explorer view. The image appears correctly when displayed but the Thumbnail  always has the wrong view for the portrait orientation. Can anyone shed dome light on this Please?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Totaljustice,

Thanks for posting.

When your camera creates a thumbnail, it adds the rotation data to that thumbnail, so it appears as you shot it.  Windows Explorer does not rotate the image in the thumbnail.

Windows Explorer, great for it's intended purpose, is not a photo editor, so it doesn't respond to the rotation data in your images file, so it's unable to rotate your image.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Totaljustice,

Thanks for posting.

When your camera creates a thumbnail, it adds the rotation data to that thumbnail, so it appears as you shot it.  Windows Explorer does not rotate the image in the thumbnail.

Windows Explorer, great for it's intended purpose, is not a photo editor, so it doesn't respond to the rotation data in your images file, so it's unable to rotate your image.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the prompt response. I see what your saying but I don't understand why it doesn't see the rotated thumbnail. When I edit pictures in the Microsoft Photo Editor and rotate it through that software the thumbnail is orientated correctly. It's only since I got this camera that I've had an issue. Thanks again.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements