cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on price decrease on used R6 Mk I after release of Mk II?

sungi
Apprentice

I've decided on buying an R6, but I'm a hobbyist/maybe enthusiast level photographer. I have a T5i with some lenses right now and want to go full frame for some low level photography.

I saw recently there was some info floating around on the R6 Mk II - since I haven't looked in this range before, can I expect a price drop on Mk I's as the Mk II enters the market? Just trying to decide if I should wait to get a potentially better deal or if it won't make a huge difference.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Very difficult to say.  The R6 was just released in July 2020.

If it's anything like the EOS 6D line, it would be around 4 1/2 years between versions.   For the EOS 5D line, there was only 3 years between the first and second version, but then closer to 4 years for the remaining versions.

There is typically a price drop on older versions as newer ones are introduced.

Having said all that, moving up to an R6 from a T5i would be a huge improvement.   One major difference being a full frame sensor vs the current crop sensor.   If you have the budget now, I'd make the move.  The difference between the mark I and mark II version of the R6 wouldn't be as dramatic.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I agree with Ricky.  I believe the R6 mkii will be priced at $2799.  Biggest selling point of the mkII is its 24MP over the mkI's 20.1MP

If I was buying a R6 today, I'd buy refurb or used from B&H or KEH. You also have Thanksgiving and Christmas sales coming.  Both Canon and B&H are having a $100 ~$400 off select RF lenses sale (13 models included).  Knowing now how phenomenal MILC is, I think you'll be happy and beyond impressed with either coming from a T5i.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements