cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 350D Autofocus won't work with Sigma teleconverter and lens

Owentwynne
Apprentice

I have the canon eos 350d and the sigma 1401 1.4x teleconverter and I have the sigma 150-600mm lens but the auto focus won’t work. Is this a compatibility issue or is it the firmware that needs updating. 
thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think kvbarkley's assessment is correct.  I have the TC-1401 and 150-600c (now retired).  Let me see what I can find out.  Do you have a Sigma USB Dock by chance?  Also what FW is your 150-600 running?

Update.  What kvbarkley concluded is correct.  

What I found.  Latest FW for the lens: Ver.2.03 2020.08.20

If your lens has firmware (any) v1.0.x and you intent to keep it, upgrading to FW v2.0.x is worth while.  Sigma did make various improvements to AF which would improve the resale value of the lens.  The USB Dock is cheap and a wise investment especially if you own more than one Global Vision lens (Art, Contemporary or Sport). 

Compatibility Sheet

SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM |
Contemporary [C015] with 1.4x

Notes:
AF *4
*4 When it is attached to cameras that are compatible with AF at F8,blurry images may result of subjects of low contrast or luminance.

Using the SIGMA TELE CONVERTER decreases the effective aperture by one F-stop (with 1.4x Tele Converter)

If you want to use the TC-1401 with the lens, its time for a newer EOS body 😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is probably that the largest aperture is too high for AF to work. See if it works at the shortest focal length. In fact the 600mm aperture on those lenses is a little too large, so the lens lies to the camera to get it to work.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think kvbarkley's assessment is correct.  I have the TC-1401 and 150-600c (now retired).  Let me see what I can find out.  Do you have a Sigma USB Dock by chance?  Also what FW is your 150-600 running?

Update.  What kvbarkley concluded is correct.  

What I found.  Latest FW for the lens: Ver.2.03 2020.08.20

If your lens has firmware (any) v1.0.x and you intent to keep it, upgrading to FW v2.0.x is worth while.  Sigma did make various improvements to AF which would improve the resale value of the lens.  The USB Dock is cheap and a wise investment especially if you own more than one Global Vision lens (Art, Contemporary or Sport). 

Compatibility Sheet

SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM |
Contemporary [C015] with 1.4x

Notes:
AF *4
*4 When it is attached to cameras that are compatible with AF at F8,blurry images may result of subjects of low contrast or luminance.

Using the SIGMA TELE CONVERTER decreases the effective aperture by one F-stop (with 1.4x Tele Converter)

If you want to use the TC-1401 with the lens, its time for a newer EOS body 😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have the 5d mark iii at my other house I will try that too see if it works. If so I will get a new camera body. 
many thanks. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Probably only a few lf the focus points will work. If you check the manual, they will tell you the ones that can focus at f/8.

Announcements